Adjusting sleep schedule?

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
So I work 6 days a week from 1600 to 200. Im starting school next week where I have to be at school at 1000. I have 2 alarm clocks and still not getting up when I should. Any one have any recommendations on how to reset my sleep pattern? Ive worked the club industry for the last 10 years so this daylight sruff is killing me lol

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
So I work 6 days a week from 1600 to 200. Im starting school next week where I have to be at school at 1000. I have 2 alarm clocks and still not getting up when I should. Any one have any recommendations on how to reset my sleep pattern? Ive worked the club industry for the last 10 years so this daylight sruff is killing me lol

Get up 15 minutes or half an hour earlier each upcoming day. Exercise right away when you wake up, then hit the showers.

Here's a silly technique that might work for you- I haven't tried it but know a couple people who have had success with it:
http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-get-up-right-away-when-your-alarm-goes-off/

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief

You're not a vampire, are you?

vampire.gif

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I'm a night walker in a day walker world too. Go see a sleep therapist. There are lots of behavioral stuff you can do but if you're anything like me you're going to probably need sleep meds of some kind at least till you can reprogram you're body. There are also some new meds for people who have what they call "shift work disorder" which is basically a fancy name fir people who work crappy schedules. I haven't tried any of these but if your problem isn't getting to sleep early enough but having a hard time getting up then it might be worth looking into them.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Go see a sleep therapist. There are lots of behavioral stuff you can do but if you're anything like me you're going to probably need sleep meds of some kind at least till you can reprogram you're body. There are also some new meds for people who have what they call "shift work disorder" which is basically a fancy name fir people who work crappy schedules

I would but us strip club DJs arnt gettin paid well right now

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
Are you sleeping through 2 alarms and not waking up?

OR

Waking up and then not getting up?

If the later, that one is easy.

If it were me, I would adjust my schedule so that I got a full 8 hours sleep. 8 hours is recomended even for people who do not have stressful jobs. Then heap on interupted sleep.

You body is telling you what it wants, I hope you hear it, and get the good rest you need.

V/R

Deserdoc

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
In that case try valerian tea to help you sleep you can find it in a grocery store one brand is called "sleepy time", there are also tablets. Take them or drink a couple of glasses of the tea an hour or so before you need to sleep. Another thing you might try is Leaving your blinds open when you go to bed so the sun hits you in the mornings. Then when you get up stand in the window and let the sun hit you for a few minutes. This helps your body "wake up". Make sure and put your alarm clocks across the room from you so you have to get out of bed to turn them off. Set one alarm for 15 minutes before the other. When the first alarm goes off get up turn it off and pop a couple of caffeine tablets then lie back down for 15 mins and when second alarm goes off you might be a little more awake. Radio shack sells a super loud alarm clock you might want to look into. Sleep quality is important too so try some relaxation techniques before bed time. White noise generators can really help put you into rem sleep faster you can find a good free one online at simplynoise.com. Hope this info helps I know how tough it can be when your sleep cycle doesn't sinc up with the norm.

OP
OP
F

Flightorbust

Forum Lieutenant
Are you sleeping through 2 alarms and not waking up?

OR

Waking up and then not getting up?

V/R

Deserdoc
Both. Sometimes I sleep through both alarm clocks
In that case try valerian tea to help you sleep you can find it in a grocery store one brand is called "sleepy time", there are also tablets. Take them or drink a couple of glasses of the tea an hour or so before you need to sleep. Another thing you might try is Leaving your blinds open when you go to bed so the sun hits you in the mornings. Then when you get up stand in the window and let the sun hit you for a few minutes. This helps your body "wake up". Make sure and put your alarm clocks across the room from you so you have to get out of bed to turn them off. Set one alarm for 15 minutes before the other. When the first alarm goes off get up turn it off and pop a couple of caffeine tablets then lie back down for 15 mins and when second alarm goes off you might be a little more awake. Radio shack sells a super loud alarm clock you might want to look into. Sleep quality is important too so try some relaxation techniques before bed time. White noise generators can really help put you into rem sleep faster you can find a good free one online at simplynoise.com. Hope this info helps I know how tough it can be when your sleep cycle doesn't sinc up with the norm.

thanks for all the advice. Ill try em out

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
At one point right after I started shift work I had four alarm clocks at varying distances from the bed.

It gets easier I promise.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I am part time employee who works full time hours. That means I take night shifts, day shifts, back to back 12s, 24s... Anyways, If I know I have a limited time between End of Shift and some important engagement I do one of a couple things, 1-work out for about 20 minutes at EoS then strip down an climb into bed, out like a light 2-take some benadryl, strip down and climb into bed 3-a few fingers of whiskey, strip down and climb into bed.

for me the trick is to be already tired when my head hits the pillow, and on nights when time is limited, I want to already be tired when I get home so number 1 is usually my preferred route.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant
My mother used to do this all the time when I was an unmotivated high schooler, She would set the most obnoxious alarm clock EVER, and put it across the room, so I either a) had to deal with it (and mind you, sleeping with that thing going off was no easy feat), or b), get up and walk across the room to turn it off. Pissed me off, but got my a$$ out of bed.

Good luck with everything, it'll get easier!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
the most obnoxious alarm clock EVER, and put it across the room

I did this when I was adjusting to working at 0545. Works like a charm.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
My son was a tough one to get up for school, so I had found an alarm clock that had the top part go flying around the room, when it went off. (really I did) It was like helicopter propellers. (it didn't last long)

I have found what works best for me, is I set my alarm for 30 minutes before I actually need to get up, it is placed across the room, so I have to get up to shut it off. I hit the snooze button, when it goes off a second time, I get up and walk across the room again. What works is that I have made myself get up, so I am somewhat awake. The next time it goes off, I am even more awake, and so on and so on. Also, I sleep with a White Noise machine, this allows me to drown out, the outside noise, and it allows me to have a more restful sleep. (unfortunately I live next to a bar that opens at 6am). Check out things that will relax you before bed, like a warm bath, some non caffinated tea, a good book, a massage (if you can get it ;)), and there are other things that can help relax. An important thing to also look into is "what not to do, before going to bed, to get a restful night sleep". (like ETOH)

The other thing you could try is drink a lot of water right before you go to bed, and if the alarms don't wake you, your bladder surely will. (jk)