additional reading

Righteous

Forum Probie
Hello. Im taking a paramedic class. Our primary resources are emergency care in the streets. I also have a recent copy of the brady books.

From what Ive read, these books have little information beyond the basics. Doesnt help that the course is bare bones either.

Can you guys recommend a couple of good books?

I already have the above and

Emergency airway for pre hospital
Acid base book. ( its a really thin book).
Acls 2010

Im only asking because after reading some of these posts....Im confused. Its possible we havent gotten to that part yet... I really hope hats the case.

Looking at the capnography and deciding between bicarb or just hyperventilating. Stuff like that confuses me.

Anyways, you guys have any suggestions?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Medical Physiology by Guyton & Hall

Pabbage

Forum Probie
Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Gerard Tortora is a good read!

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Emergency Pathophysiology: Clinical Applications for Prehospital Care
Samuel M. Galvagno Jr.

Written by a former Paramedic who wanted a better book for when he was in 'medic school; now a DO.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Looking at the capnography and deciding between bicarb or just hyperventilating. Stuff like that confuses me.

Good news sir, most paramedics and doctors are confused about this too. There is little literature studying the role of bicarb, and that which does exist pretty much only supports it in a narrow set of findings! TCA OD, crush injuries, in the ICU for DKA...

Any book you pick up will likely miss this, unless it has been published very recently.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tortora's still around? Hope it has maintained its excellence.

Put the Merck Manual and a copy of Taber's dictionary on the reading rack.

Go to the used text store and get Wilson,Mizer and Morello's Microbiology in Patient Care, and Bates' "A Guide To Physical Examination and History Taking".

iPhonemedic

Forum Ride Along
Just my opinion but there isn't a book that can teach what you will learn by running calls. Hopefully when you get a job you'll be put with a seasoned medic who can share some wisdom with you. Make sure you know your company protocols. Medic school teaches the basics for becoming a medic but this job is a lifelong learning experience. Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This site is one of the best ways to further your EMS knowledge.

I'd say this site is a good way to trigger ideas and questions, which you should further research. Some of the things I've read here that have been passed of as "fact" are pure BS.