Action Ambulance

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
Not sure if anyone knows anything about them, but they just popped up a new garage about 45 minutes from me in western MA. I work at Radioshack now, because thats what (barely) pays the bills until I get "signed off" on the volunteer squad I ride with. pretty much a probationary period. One of two services in my area within a reasonable drive that has medics on board.

Anyone know anything?

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure if anyone knows anything about them, but they just popped up a new garage about 45 minutes from me in western MA. I work at Radioshack now, because thats what (barely) pays the bills until I get "signed off" on the volunteer squad I ride with. pretty much a probationary period. One of two services in my area within a reasonable drive that has medics on board.

Anyone know anything?

Don't know much about their "west" operations ( I assume your out in Springfield/Past Worcestah)...I think they are run differently than the Wakefield/Wilmington/Northshore ops. But I'll bump this for you, maybe someone will have better insight.

OP
OP
H

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
Don't know much about their "west" operations ( I assume your out in Springfield/Past Worcestah)...I think they are run differently than the Wakefield/Wilmington/Northshore ops. But I'll bump this for you, maybe someone will have better insight.
further west. City named Pittsfield. bout half way up the state right on border of New York.

nemedic

Forum Captain
I know a few emts/medics, and the guy that runs their in-house EMT program. Seems to be a decent company, play is comparable to other companies in the area, but no knowledge of their west operations

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
further west. City named Pittsfield. bout half way up the state right on border of New York.
:rofl:

I think anything around that area should be labeled, "There be Dragons". Like the old sea maps.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
They've had that pittsfield garage since 2011 or so, post closure of central berkshire, as a competitor of County.... Pittsfield is a vastly different operation than some of their eastern gigs, but runs by Berkshire rules... it is a legitimate company, with good internal education, QA and support.
For you, its worth applying to County as well, and talking to the Andrews brothers, but also continuing with your volunteer gig. I'm sure there are some in your department that know both companies well, who would also be good to talk to. Depending on where you sit in relation to Pittsfield, SBVAC and/or Village might also be good services to look into.

OP
OP
H

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
They've had that pittsfield garage since 2011 or so, post closure of central berkshire, as a competitor of County.... Pittsfield is a vastly different operation than some of their eastern gigs, but runs by Berkshire rules... it is a legitimate company, with good internal education, QA and support.
For you, its worth applying to County as well, and talking to the Andrews brothers, but also continuing with your volunteer gig. I'm sure there are some in your department that know both companies well, who would also be good to talk to. Depending on where you sit in relation to Pittsfield, SBVAC and/or Village might also be good services to look into.
Been toying with the idea of County. When I first got my license I applied to county, was waiting to hear back about employment offer but discovered i lost it to an I, no biggie. Villiage for me is the same distance and time as a springfield gig, not sure id be making a lot of extra pennies after gas... On the fire department the medical officer is a medic for County and isnt the biggest fan of Action, but they're competitors, can ya blame him?

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
I was offered work at County on a split shift, two hours in the morning, two hours in the late afternoon with a six hour layoff in between. I passed, but am going to have to try again this week. I may have to take it.
Village trained me and offered me work during the course, now I cannot get the director to reply to emails with anything beyond, "I'll get back to you." When phoned, he tells me that I should call back. Well...I even said "if you cannot use me, can you point me in the direction of something, maybe use me short term as a volunteer?" I am still waiting.
Village pays a couple of bucks more than most services in the area.
Action pays like $10.45 to start. I may have to talk to them too just to work. The per diam paid-by-the-call is supposedly paid well at $60 a call.
County has a mixed reputation, the pay scale I do not know.