ACLS

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
I've been thinking about ways to continue my training until the next Intermediate or Medic class is available in my area. I would really like to take ACLS, but I'm not sure if I'd be eligible. I know someone mentioned auditing it in another post. Does anyone know what the pre-reqs are for the class?

Thanks,
Caleb

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
The last I knew they're were'nt any pre-requisites. An EMT-B can take it they just obviously could'nt do anything with it. This could have changed, however.

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
You must have an active CPR card, otherwise course corrdinators option. DO yourself a favor though...study hard before you take the course (you should recieve a pre test and book at least 1 week prior) and ask medics what you should study..that way you will put forth a good impression of not only your self, but all of us in EMS when you are sitting beside MD's and RN's. Especially if you score higher on the test!
:)

OP
OP
C

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the input. I wasn’t sure if you HAD to be an MD, RN, Medic etc. I will definitely study up well before the class, if I can get in. I’m basically a nerd anyway, and have been studying the algorithms etc. for several months – believe me, I’ll continue to do so. Making an a$$ out of myself and my colleagues is not my idea of a good time! :) Thanks again!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I was planning on taking the ACLS course as an EMT-B, but it conflicted with my schedule.

I was going to take the course where they meet once a week for several weeks. There are other options where you can do it over a weekend. I asked the instructor who taught it, and she said it was fine that EMT-Bs too it, but be ready to be ready.

She suggested I buy two books: ACLS Quick Review Study Guide and Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, Sixth Edition. Note, those links go to Amazon, I dont make any money if you click. I bought the books, but after I found out I was too busy for the course, I stuck them away. Now that I work in EMS, almost every person I know in the Paramedic program uses those two books.

I think the knowledge would be great to have, I'm all for learning more.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
The only thing I would caution you about is that once you take ACLS you'll know what to do, but you won't have the state-required skills to do it... in NY State in the time between when you take your Critical Care (ALS) exam and when you get your grades, you're not allowed to practice, even if you have a preceptor or another ALS provider. I went on a couple calls where I knew what to do to make a difference and my hands were tied - i had to "BLS it" the whole way to the hospital.