ACLS - Do's and Don't?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Just wondering,

I'm planning on taking an ACLS class soon and I was wondering the "scope of practice" for an EMT-B. Is it based upon a county or state "standing order/protocol"?

and/or...does the certification allow you to push meds such as atropine or epi if they're on hand?

thanks,

-Dom

JPINFV

Gadfly
No. Taking an ACLS course does not increase the scope of practice for basics.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
The last time I took an ACLS class there was nothing except basic airway control that was within the scope of practice for an EMT basic. I'm talking about OPAs, NPAs and bagging, stuff that is already taught to EMT basics. As a basic you are still restricted by your standing orders. Even if you've taken an ACLS class I'm 99.99% sure you will not be able to do anything you've learned since none of it is within the scope of an EMT B.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
i figured so,

especially here in our county. EMT-B's basically can't give any meds. No insulin, no epi, no nitro.we're really limited. only O2 here

but hey... it lowers pain, and N/V... and bumps up o2 sats!

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Maybe you should consider a couple of college level A&P classes which are probably the same cost at a community college as the ACLS class. Since you are in CA, both A&P classes may even cost a lot less than the ACLS class.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
i figured so,

especially here in our county. EMT-B's basically can't give any meds. No insulin, no epi, no nitro.we're really limited. only O2 here
Err, and your point is?

Besides, I doubt that your medics can give insulin.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Besides, I doubt that your medics can give insulin.

I can't remember, but i'll double check. I think i meant to say po glucose. plus... insulin is supposed to be kept in the fridge and it expires 28 days late outside of one

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Maybe you should consider a couple of college level A&P classes which are probably the same cost at a community college as the ACLS class.

A&P? which is?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
ya know... i've been looking for that for weeks now and then ya just pulled it up like you had it on hand lol...

yeah, I'm going to hit up medic school pretty quick here. I just need to get some hours workin as a basic for now. SBCC has saturated the EMT-B positions in SB county. its so hard to get a job here. I'm working on being able to do ride alongs with the NICU transport, but it doesnt look too promising.

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. Google "Santa barbara EMS"
2. click on "Policy and Procedures"
3. "# Medical Control, Field Policies and Treatment Protocols"
4. 530 EMT-P Scope of Practice

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
ya. i just looked... thanks. you have no idea how much that helps!

maxwell

Forum Crew Member
ACLS is just education. Doesn't let people do cooler things. That said, taking ACLS, PALS, NRP teaches you good tricks that your medics may not know during a code - you could be pretty helpful as an EMT-B with ACLS!

maxwell

Forum Crew Member
i figured so,

..oxygen does nothing for pain.

Scout

Para-Noid
It does if i say it does.

Thats all you need to think. The mind is a great trickster

Scout

Para-Noid
I'm actually going to put a disclaimer in her and say pharmacologically it has no impact on pain

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I like to give placebos. :rolleyes:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm actually going to put a disclaimer in her and say pharmacologically it has no impact on pain

..oxygen does nothing for pain.

Can either of you back up your statements as an absolute from medical literature?

There are quite a few studies that have been done and are being done as to the effect of oxygen on pain. It would depend greatly on the etiology of the pain. Migraines, tissue hypoxia, PVD and various autoimmune disorders all can respond differently to various therapies. As well, there are many scientists and physicians that believe in the value of hyperoxia for various wound care as well as HBO. In some places we do use a high FiO2 to do a nitrogen washout for a pneumothorax which can relieve pain as free air is removed. Oxygen has smooth muscle relaxing properties for the pulmonary arteries. Pulmonary hypertension can cause hypoxia which in turn can cause pain. Oxygen is required to generate ATP as a source of cellular chemical energy. Without it, the Kreb's cycle does not function and some system may suffer, causing pain.

I suggest a little basic college level A&P to review the principles of Oxygen and why it is considered a drug.

Last edited by a moderator: