accreditation questions, sorry i did use the search button

8jimi8

CFRN
I have used the search button to try and find a thread that answers this question.

I feel like i have an understanding of why Accreditation is important, but I actually would like it spelled out for me.

I understand that the idea is a homogeneity of curriculum and a "minimum level of skill and understanding" between courses for paramedics.

I also have read the guidelines stating that any paramedic who attends an unaccredited school can still be certified unless they begin their class after Jan 1, 2013.

What is the difference between a school that is accredited and one that is on a time line to be accredited by 2012?

The reason why I ask this is because a company that I recently applied to as a basic, pretty much told me that they hand pick all of their medics out of their own 13 month paramedic program. I asked them if they were accredited and the reply was that they would be for the new guidelines. What is attractive to me about this company is that they hold the 911 contract for a moderately sized city with a VERY AGGRESSIVE medical director...(as an example, one of their instructors told me that many times, as a result of their protocols, they bypass the ER and go straight to the cath lab -- here is a quote from their hiring page "Protocols- Aggressive and progressive including in field C-spine clearance, EZ IO, Rapid Sequence Induction and STEMI Program including field administration of Heparin and Plavix. We encourage our staff to seek higher standards of care with Airway Boot Camps and a variety of lively discussions with our Medical Director at monthly Medical Review." ) in short, working for them I will learn alot.

I have to admit, I really do not want to take the extra time and money to get my intermediate certification before going on to medic school.

Some of you already know my history, I am about to graduate as an RN. And before we go off into, you should practice as a nurse first, let me just say due to the economy right now all of the major hospitals in my area have a hiring freeze. So i am looking for work as a basic, I don't plan on moving or commuting far enough away to get to another level 1 trauma center. There is only one hospital that I want to work at and I 've already spoken with the ICU charge nurse there. I won't be taking a nursing job until I can get a job in critical care at our level II (soon to be level I) trauma center. That being said, while I wait for this job, I may enter paramedic school.
The company of which I have been referring to operates on a modified school schedule, so that you can attend their medic program and NOT miss any shifts as a full-time employee, so this school looks most attractive to me.

Is it really just the idea that the education is Sub-par? Their medics have to take the same registry test...

anyway, i'm not trying to be disrespectful, so please remain constructive, I am after all coming to you for your opinions, most of which I hold in high regard, so please keep it a discussion and don't rant at me.

NorCalMedic

Forum Probie
I am by all means not an expert in your question, But.... I would imagine that you would want to go to a school that is already accredited and established for 2 reasons.

1) They probably have their act together and have good contracts with providers that you will beable to do your intership and clinicals with. Some places will only take students or create contracts from schools that are accredited.

2) A school that is on a time line to being accredited seems to me like in the big picture, if for some reason they could not get accredited you may be SOL, and have to take the class all over again, which obviously would totally suck.

Again I am not an expert but that is my best theory.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
First of all thank you for your reply

1) They probably have their act together and have good contracts with providers that you will beable to do your intership and clinicals with. Some places will only take students or create contracts from schools that are accredited.

This company already contracts with local Emergency Rooms for clinical rotations and the EMS rideouts are done with their 911 ambulance service.

2) A school that is on a time line to being accredited seems to me like in the big picture, if for some reason they could not get accredited you may be SOL, and have to take the class all over again, which obviously would totally suck.

Again I am not an expert but that is my best theory.

Taken from http://www.coaemsp.org/ FAQ for implementing EMS Education Agenda

16. What impact will National EMS Education Program Accreditation (Program Accreditation) have on current EMS practitioners?

None, really. NASEMSO acknowledges the recent announcement by the National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) to add an eligibility requirement for paramedic testing, effective December 31, 2012. The NREMT move toward programmatic accreditation is in response to the Education Agenda and impacts candidates entering paramedic programs AFTER January 1, 2013. It will not have an effect on currently licensed EMS paramedics. It has NO bearing or impact on recertification of paramedics. Only students who have yet to be trained will be impacted by the NREMT requirement beginning in 2013.

thanks again, looking forward to yours and more people's thoughts.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Accreditation is not just a meaningless piece of paper, like an ACLS card. It signifies something tangible. It signifies that the school has gone above and beyond to meet an elevated national standard.

Does Accreditation mean that school A is necessarily better than school B, which is not accredited? Nope. But it means that they have a proven level of quality and professional standards that the other does not. That means that a great deal of the work involved in choosing a quality school has already been done for you, by people who know what to look for. After all, the percentage of prospective paramedic students who actually know what to look for in a school is probably in the single digits.

CAAHEP Accreditation is like any other accreditation in that respect. It's the difference between a mechanic who has passed ASE certification exams, and the shade-tree guy who is an unknown quantity. It's the difference between the electrician with the master license, and the guy who just says he's good with circuits. Both may be equally good at what they do, but which one do you want to take your chances on? The smart money is on the guy who has proven himself to a standardized board of his peers. And that is what CAAHEP Accreditation is.

Would you hire a paramedic with no certification? After all, he could be as good as the guy with the NR certificate, right? Or would you rather stick to hiring guys with credentials to represent your agency? There ya go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Look at it this way. Would you recommend or even hire a nurse that did not attend an accredited program... Oh, that's right all nursing programs have to be accredited or they can't be in the business!

Get the point...?

R/r 911

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
I very well knew what the answers would be. I completely understand y'all's perspective on this issue.

I guess my perspective is coming from seeing a hiring freeze for all nursing positions in my area.

So, now that I have been in school for 2 years... i'm damn lucky that I went the extra mile to get my EMT-B license, or i'd be looking at getting a mundane job, until the hospitals unfreeze their hiring process.

The school that I found allows you to work full time and go to school full time because they are on a modified school schedule ( m/w or t/h).

And their program is only 13 months long. Looking at ACC, which is really the only other school I would realistically enroll in, is 5 semesters long. that's 2.5 more years and you can't work while you are in their program... at least not more than 20 hours a week, which won't cut it. My wife has been through enough of helping through school.

I guess I was kind of hoping for a pass from you guys cause i'm not just some yahoo who wouldn't study, or take every advantage of more education.

Anyway, thanks for humoring me and reading the post.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Have you explored all aspects of nursing not just what you wanted to do? Did you investigate home health, psychiatric, long term as in even those that are involved in vent care.. etc. What you may call mundane, may actually get your experience and resume built for your long term goal. Having multi-experience will never harm you and for your long term goal, would be more adventitious than being in EMS and especially going to a shake & bake program.

All of those will give you experience and may even allow you some professional growth. I much rather would hire a RN with experience. Remember, many nurse managers may frown upon stagnant lag of not working as a RN. The reason I will be returning back to nursing (at least PRN). You now need to learn the real world of the workforce of nursing and medicine. There are unwritten rules and guidelines one needs to learn and maintain to be successful.

R/r 911

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Honestly, i hadn't even considered ltcf or home health. I was wholly disappointed with our psych facilities during my mental health rotation and definitely would not work there. Thanks for the ideas.

Another thing that has me looking at EMS jobs is that i spoke with one of the charges who does hiring at the hospital where I want to work and she told me that one thing that would hold me back would be getting a job and holding it for less than a year before trying to get hired by their ICU.

In other words, they look down upon people who waste other people's time and resources to get trained and then move on too quickly. With an EMS job, i wouldn't stop working there, i'd just go part time or prn, so that I could concentrate on acclimating to the ICU environment.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
That is another great idea; however the wife's father's medical condition precludes us from moving at this time. Plus my wife's job is literally a 1 of a kind opportunity and we are not yet ready to give up her salary (until after we pay off the house and our student loans -- looking at probably 2-3 years in this area before moving would be feasible)

I am basically on the verge of looking at commuting to Dallas / FW or Houston.