Acadian TX Operations

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Question for anybody with inside knowledge of Acadian. Applying in tx this week and was wondering where they truly do 911 primary stuff. Don't mind transfers but obviously want a lot of 911. Looking at San Antonio, Austin, Beaumont area, Denton, etc.

For those that have worked there, what kind of call ratio should I expect? 50/50?

Thanks. Tried searching but could only come up with limited info.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Austin they don't

They do Bexar County outside of San Antonio city limits and some of the smaller cities inside SA (Hollywood Park, Windcrest, Balcones Heights, etc.).

I'm sure shfd will pipe up soon with some good info :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If I remember right they also do 911 in the Beaumont area

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Austin they don't

They do Bexar County outside of San Antonio city limits and some of the smaller cities inside SA (Hollywood Park, Windcrest, Balcones Heights, etc.).

I'm sure shfd will pipe up soon with some good info :)

Thanks!

PI nailed it with the locations.

Beaumont, Bexar County are your best for 911.

Call volume/ratios vary. Some shifts youll catch all 911 calls...Some shifts not.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks!

PI nailed it with the locations.

Beaumont, Bexar County are your best for 911.

Call volume/ratios vary. Some shifts youll catch all 911 calls...Some shifts not.

They don't do the City of Beaumont though right?

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info.... If you had to work one of the two which would you pick? Beaumont or sa? What's the weather comparison between the two? Which is LESS hot? Coming from SoCal :)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the info.... If you had to work one of the two which would you pick? Beaumont or sa? What's the weather comparison between the two? Which is LESS hot? Coming from SoCal :)

San Antonio summers are worse than Beaumont.

I work in San Antonio and have worked in Beaumont area a few times helping out. It's hard to say which is better.

San Antonio has the benefit of being a big city and close to the hill country. Hill Country is pretty and opens up a lot of recreational opportunities.

Beaumont is smaller and gets rural quick when you get away from it. it's on the Gulf which I liked. Houston is a reasonable drive for the big city stuff when you want.

Visit both and decide from there.

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info... What about Temple, Humble, and Austin areas? Know anything about those operations?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the info... What about Temple, Humble, and Austin areas? Know anything about those operations?

Humble I don't know anything about.

Austin/Temple is the same op. mostly transfers with the emergencies usually from nursing homes. No 911.

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Got it. Well it sounds like Beaumont may be my top choice then. Thanks for all the info. Any more insight or direction is welcome!

Thanks again

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Got it. Well it sounds like Beaumont may be my top choice then. Thanks for all the info. Any more insight or direction is welcome!

Thanks again

Also look into applying for the city of Beaumont EMS. They are supposed to be pretty good. I'm looking at them recently again too

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

Thanks again

Beaumont isn't a bad area. The rural areas are nice with some long transport times to challenge you. The smaller cities around it have some pretty helpful FDs as well. That area stays busy for sure.

I've heard good things about Beaumont EMS as well. Look at them and keep your options open.

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Would like to do a gov run agency but jobs are just harder to come by with no experience as a medic. Beaumont is not hiring paramedics currently, according to their website

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Acadian did an awesome job on that wreck today on I-10, I heard. Congrats!

OP
OP
Thricenotrice

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
Crazy wreck. Well I applied to the SE division so we'll see what happens. Just want to start using this license somewhere! Thanks for all the info everybody.