Acadian Travel Paramedic

BOSlife

Forum Crew Member
I am a paramedic with around 8 years experience (3+ in 911 settings). I am accepting a travel paramedic position with Acadian Ambulance (Austin/Central Texas Region)

I am coming from out of state and know very little about the EMS system in Central TX. Can anyone shed light on how Acadian does things in the greater Austin area? I have found very little information posted recently about how Acadian operates aside from their newly won Pflugerville contract and existing 911 operations in Bastrop. What is the call volume like? Is there a good mix of IFT/911? Are Acadian the only ALS providers in their 911 service areas? What kind of additional medical resources are in the area? So many questions...

By the amount of money their offering, seems like this area may be struggling to find qualified medics (as many companies are).

Hope some TX medics can weigh in...

Thanks

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
No info to add to your request, however that is pretty good deal from Acadian. Smart of them to copy the Travel RN model for sure!

Its a 4 month assignment, 60 hours a week minimum. There is/will be unlimited overtime.

$25/hour
$1300/week Food and housing stipend

So basically, you will earn:
$1750/week taxed
$1300/week untaxed

or

$7K a month taxed
5.2K a month untaxed

That is not a bad return if you are a Paramedic and have the ability to jump on this crisis assignment. Just remember, your $1300/week does NOT have to be spent in its entirety on food and housing. This is untaxed money, yours to spend as deemed necessary by you. The less you spend, the more tax free income in your pocket! :)

And housing was tough here in LA for a while, however it has opened up again and there are plenty of extended stay hotels and Air BnBs.

FYI, I have been in Louisiana since September...still here banging out the FEMA ER RN dollars....and we just got asked to extend another 30 days. I have a Air BnB that cost me $35/night.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Posting, LOTS of IFT, some 911. I think Bastrop trucks are mostly fixed in the county but do get pulled for some IFT.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep...however I view this opportunity the same as I view my current Travel RN status...I can work in the same crap hole making average wages, or I can go work someone else's crap hole and get paid 3x-4x more. No brainer for me.

spimx

Forum Crew Member
No info to add to your request, however that is pretty good deal from Acadian. Smart of them to copy the Travel RN model for sure!

Its a 4 month assignment, 60 hours a week minimum. There is/will be unlimited overtime.

$25/hour
$1300/week Food and housing stipend

So basically, you will earn:
$1750/week taxed
$1300/week untaxed

or

$7K a month taxed
5.2K a month untaxed

That is not a bad return if you are a Paramedic and have the ability to jump on this crisis assignment. Just remember, your $1300/week does NOT have to be spent in its entirety on food and housing. This is untaxed money, yours to spend as deemed necessary by you. The less you spend, the more tax free income in your pocket! :)

And housing was tough here in LA for a while, however it has opened up again and there are plenty of extended stay hotels and Air BnBs.

FYI, I have been in Louisiana since September...still here banging out the FEMA ER RN dollars....and we just got asked to extend another 30 days. I have a Air BnB that cost me $35/night.
Thats not very good I already make close to that on my fire job and I don't have to wear those ridiculous green pants

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Thats not very good I already make close to that on my fire job and I don't have to wear those ridiculous green pants

You make more than 12K per month on your fire job? With almost 50% of it UNTAXED.

Where??