Acadian Beaumont or Lake Charles?

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
I've been looking at relocating since I just finished medic school. Does anyone have any info about the Acadian operations in Beaumont TX and/or Lake Charles LA? They're offering a pretty sizable sign-on bonus and I was wondering what it's like to work there. Are they the first-in 911 in both areas? Trying to figure out if it would be worth the move- any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Beaumont they do 911 in the county and.IFT all over the region. If you wanna live in the Beaumont region, consider city of Beaumont ems, Galveston ems, lake jackson ems, la porte ems, or league city ems as alternatives.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Working for Acadian is like embracing mediocrity.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
East of Beaumont Acadian does all the 911 plus the normal transfer BS. Lake Charles area is sole provider so you do whatever comes out as well.

Expect in both to spend all day in the unit and potentially all day on the road going from post to post. In Lake Charles you may start the shift in Lake Charles then wind up in Laffayette or Alexandria before the shift's over.

If someone is offering a big sign on bonus there is usually reason why.

OP
OP
olaf1988

olaf1988

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the feedback, seems like it's probably not the best move. Just wanted to check out some options, I appreciate the info.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
If it gets you out of Cali it may be worth it. You'll definitely have better pay, lower cost of living and after staying 2 years to pay back the bonus more/better opportunities to change employers. Especially in Texas.

We have a medic here that moved from Cali last year and he loves it. The medicine and protocols are better, his pay goes further and though he'll probably leave after 2 years it's been a good move for him.

Acadian isn't perfect but it's better than a lot of other places.