Acadian Ambulance Service

OP
OP
C

Chuckles

Forum Crew Member
i worked for acadian in austin for about 6 months a year ago. it was a good company to work for.

Cool. The recrutier is already talking about sending my to the southeast texas operations. Just trying to get the Texas EMT-P certification paper work done. Have not been down there yet for my lift test or anything and they are already talking about a relocation package and what station I will be going to.

How come you left?

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
i decided to go to medic school. i had another non-ems job that payed more and was EXTREMELY flexible with a school schedule (they let me come and go whenever i had time). ive never been down to the southeast texas branch. i know they sent some of the medics down there for training from time to time.

musashi

Forum Probie
I am an Intermediate who has been working for Acadian in San Antonio for approx. 3 months. FIY, the lift test is not difficult and has pretty much been covered here. Use your legs, not your back and you will be fine. They also constantly check your HR throughout the exam, to make sure it doesn not exceed 100. I naturally flirt with the tachy side of things and was worried, but do some zen breathing, relax, and you'll be fine. We have individuals who work here (both boys & girls) that pass the test. It's performed by a physical therapist, who also checks your b/p and makes you do some stretching moves to assess for flexibility. I am FAR from putting my nose on my knees and did fine. To echo a previous comment, don't toke out as you will not last long. We do 911 for Bexar County and it's definitely one of the better gigs in town, unless you want to roll hose and what real medic wants to do that! Hit me up with any questions.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Bumping back up, anyone got a recruiter contact for Acadian? A valid one anyways

Veneficus

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

iamjeff171

Forum Crew Member
the person who did all that in austin, when i was there, was Kelly Daigle(spelling?). generally when you submit an app online they get back with you fairly quickly.

-Jeff

Jinkx

Forum Probie
Acadian Ambulance

nope i dont...sorry. if you find out let me know. also check your PM.

I'm an Intermediate. Anyone know what they pay in Orange County Texas? Temp housing? Relocation help? What shifts their on? Ect.? Anything would be appreciated.

feldy

Forum Captain
Your best bet may be to contact a recruiter. I do not know who it is for orange county tx. they may not be able to give you pay info but certainly the rest. They should get back to you quickly.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Kellie is the new recruiter for SE TX. I just interviewed for an EMT-I position down there and she is a big help! I'll toss you a pm with her phone number later today

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
I'm an Intermediate. Anyone know what they pay in Orange County Texas? Temp housing? Relocation help? What shifts their on? Ect.? Anything would be appreciated.

I applied, for the SE texas position online as well, and Kelli called me, she seems nice enough. I was supposed to have a phonte interview with her but had to cancel cause I got held over on a shift, and didn't want a call in the middle of an interview.

As far as pay, she told you start at $16/hr working 3 12's 1st week/4 12's 2nd week, and you get a $5000 signing bonus too I think. That's all I found out so far.

I'm not too crazy about Texas, but it seemed like it would be more disrable for me as opposed to Missisippi, or LA.

smurfe

EMS Educator
It's been 10 years since I worked for them and they recruit a bit different now. I believe each district/region has their own recruiter now. I believe if you contact their main operation in Lafayette they will take your information and talk to you. I believe they then look at where openings are and inquire where you want to work. After that decision is made you are put in contact with the recruiter for that operation area. I can not remember the physical agility test but it was nothing complicated. It could have changed though.

Wish I could help more. I have to say it is a unique company. Good equipment and the pay isn't bad for the area. You can work in a fairly small town but still have a good call volume with very interesting calls. They are the 911 provider for where I live and even though it is a small town, they are very busy.

Even if you work in an area like Baton Rouge where they are not a 911 provider they still are very busy and get a lot of emergency calls as our 911 back up and when the truck will get pulled from the parish to cover areas. That was one thing I didn't like when I moved here. I came from St. Louis to South Louisiana. Didn't know anything about the area but I would run calls at times over 100 miles from my response area. You had to be able to read a map. This was pre GPS days.

Overall, it is a pretty good company. Yeah, we have the slam the private provider talk where I work but I worked there and knew what it was like. I didn't have a problem at all. In fact the only reason I still don't work there is I had to leave them after my Grandfather died and I moved back to Illinois to help my Dad farm till they sold the property. After that sold I moved back to Louisiana as my wife is from here and she wanted to come back. When we moved back Acadian didn't have any Paramedic openings in the area I lived so I went to Baton Rouge EMS. This turned out to be a fantastic service so I stayed. I had no issues at Acadian though.

smurfe

EMS Educator
I'm not too crazy about Texas, but it seemed like it would be more disrable for me as opposed to Missisippi, or LA.

The area in Texas they cover kinda sucks but you are close to Houston and that is a cool city. I have lived and worked the Texas area and South East Louisiana. I prefer Louisiana much better (depending what area you live) but would have no problem living back in Texas. I would live closer to Houston and commute some though.

feldy

Forum Captain
Anyone know about their new orleans, la coverage. I know N.O. EMS has primary 911. Is Acadian only a transfer company there?

Jinkx

Forum Probie
I have an interview with them in Beaumont Texas for an opening in the Orange County operation next week. Ive researched them as much as I could. I do know this. They are a private company comparable to AMR. They provide both 911, 911 back up and transfer depending on the location. I know nothing of their La. operation but sounds similiar to Texas operations. There is some reciprocity issues in La. Coming and going.

smurfe

EMS Educator
Anyone know about their new orleans, la coverage. I know N.O. EMS has primary 911. Is Acadian only a transfer company there?

They are transfer there like they are in Baton Rouge but you would still get plenty of emergency and 911 rollover calls. You would not just respond in N.O.

smurfe

EMS Educator
I have an interview with them in Beaumont Texas for an opening in the Orange County operation next week. Ive researched them as much as I could. I do know this. They are a private company comparable to AMR. They provide both 911, 911 back up and transfer depending on the location. I know nothing of their La. operation but sounds similiar to Texas operations. There is some reciprocity issues in La. Coming and going.

The Louisiana operations is Acadian. Texas and Mississippi operations are subsidiaries. I don't know what kind of reciprocity issues you would have in La. Just give a copy of nremt card and fee. Same as in Texas. Now if you were going to work both states of course you would need cents in both. That's what I do.