ABC's of being an EMT!

QueenEMT

Forum Probie
QueenEmt,

why would you post something that you know ahead of time will offend somebody...

everyone can make a mistake, so perhaps you could apologize to anyone you may have offended...

I already said I hoped I didn't... geesh.... just jump on me why don't you.

QueenEMT

Forum Probie
I do apologize to those... but I guess I was hoping for people here with a sense of humor.

Like I said... I live in Washington DC... I guess unless you live here, you wouldn't understand.... Moderators, you can remove my profile... I haven't been here long, but I guess the people I work with are more tolerant than the people of the world... In this job, if you cant make fun of anything, including yourself... you don't belong in it. I would rather talk to my fellow firefighters and police officers who can handle it anyway...

Reactions: Em1

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
you have nothing to apologise for QueenEMT. In this day and age, Im not sure how others can find something like Driving While Asian offensive in the face of Comedy Central's Carlos Mencia and similar programs. Im sure that QueenEMT is an extremly tolerant person, as am I, and im sure we all have asian friends who would laugh at that type of joke. Tough skin is important in this lne of work.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Tough skin is important in this line of work.
You are absolutely, 100 percent correct. Tough skin is absolutely essential. Racism and bigotry, however, is not only not important, but not wanted, needed, and in my case, I have little tolerance for. As a former resident of the DC area, I am appalled that a fellow public safety official (fire, police, or EMS) would find that funny. I'm sure that my friend in the DC police department wouldn't find it funny either.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
whoa there hang on a minute. Im not trying to start an argument, what I am saying is that im sure QueenEMT is a very kind person and is not directing racism or bigotry at anyone. I have dealt with bigotry and intolerance agaisnt me for a very very long time, and usually its mean spirited and hurtful, while humor like DWA is not. I encourage you to see other points of view here. I understand that some people may find that offensive, but as I have said, this kind of humor is now acceptable for public TV.

Peace :)
I assure you that I mean well.

skyemt

Forum Captain
you have nothing to apologise for QueenEMT. In this day and age, Im not sure how others can find something like Driving While Asian offensive

we here, can only go by what you say... if you want to change your tune, that's cool.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
"Tough skin is absolutely essential. Racism and bigotry, however, is not only not important, but not wanted, needed, and in my case, I have little tolerance for. "

The only crime here is that something was put into print that is usually just spoken in words. Any one of us who says these kinds of statements or jokes don't go on (and are not laughed at) is not being honest about what we, as humans, do.

Look at the jokes shared on this site. Most are at someone's expense. On one level, including ethnicity (or disability or, or...) in a joke means the listener gets a visual hook to hang the joke on...it gets vivid. No judgment, that's just what happens. The joke has a face.

Putting it into writing, however, does make it a more public and permanent record of one's failings when it comes to being a professional, which in our business means having the confidence of the public -- that means everyone. The writer's credibility as one sworn to heal without prejudice could more readily be called into question.

I, personally don't question the writer's integrity. I prefer to laugh at all of human balderdash!

Last edited by a moderator:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I do apologize to those... but I guess I was hoping for people here with a sense of humor.

Like I said... I live in Washington DC... I guess unless you live here, you wouldn't understand.... Moderators, you can remove my profile... I haven't been here long, but I guess the people I work with are more tolerant than the people of the world... In this job, if you cant make fun of anything, including yourself... you don't belong in it. I would rather talk to my fellow firefighters and police officers who can handle it anyway...

I have a sense of humor. I also am tolerant. I can't believe that after posting such a blatantly racist comment, you would then attempt to excuse it by saying people where you work are more 'tolerant'. Tolerance of racism is not a positive attribute.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
There are two equally valid points of view here, but its beaten to death. perhaps we should get back to the thread.

ABCs of an anasthesiologist:
Airway, Book, Chair
hehe

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
No one has mentioned my favorite yet...

EMT = Early Morning Taxi

for all those 4am non-priority BLS transports:glare:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah and I thought the proper time was 0500! ^_^

RMH4986

Forum Ride Along
one more for ya

TUBE- Totally Unnecessary Breast Exam:rolleyes:

RMH4986

Forum Ride Along
a cuple more

ARTG- Adverse Reaction To Gravity
BFL- Buzzards Flying Low
FDGB- Fall Down Go Boom

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I once heard a great acronym for a fat 40-something shoveling snow who has an MI, and came accross a case like it earlier this week, and the name escaped me. Can anyone help me? It was at-pandemic proportions in New England earlier this week...

yay4stress

Forum Crew Member
also,

SOB - Short of Breath (but they don't have to know that's what we mean)
DIB - Dead In Bed
FD - Freaking D******bags (No offense to any firefighters here, but in my area they tend to be less than pleasent)

CPG

Forum Crew Member
Bloodborne pathogen training in 10 Seconds.....

"If its wet, sticky, and not yours, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!"