A&P at the cellular level

VA Transport EMT

Forum Crew Member
I'm trying to self-study A&P right now and have taken it once before. I'm having trouble understanding the small level stuff but have no issue with the large structures. I even bought a coloring book, which has made it easier to see, but how does this relate to medicine?

In reference to Physiology, how does the cellular levels relate to medicine? Isn't Physiology just about chemical reactions?

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
http://cvpharmacology.com/cardioinhibitory/beta-blockers.htm

I didn't find a pic I really liked but this site has one of a cell. Look here a beta blocker would work, and a calcium channel blocker? Phosphodiesterase inhibitor? How does ATP relate to this whole function?

What stimulated that cell? Norepi and what is that A2 receptor doing? Do any drugs affect these? Would any damage to the body affect these?

It all seems to come down too affecting that calcium influx. What does that calcium do in that tissue?

Get it?

TigerManMcCool9974

Forum Probie
Anatomy is what the organs/tissues are and where they're located. Physiology is what the organs/tissues do and how they do it. EVERYTHING they do is on a cellular level. You are a big ol' clump of cells. You breathe/eat/drink to feed the cells. You breathe/crap/pee to rid the cells of waste. Every medical issue is a cellular issue. Every trauma issue is a cellular issue. You don't have to be anywhere near a Ph.D. in cellular biology to function as an EMT, but a basic knowledge of the cellular nature of the body and its processes can help you understand some concepts and disease processes you may encounter.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'm trying to self-study A&P right now and have taken it once before. I'm having trouble understanding the small level stuff but have no issue with the large structures. I even bought a coloring book, which has made it easier to see, but how does this relate to medicine?

In reference to Physiology, how does the cellular levels relate to medicine?
How does drugs work? Agonists vs antagonists? How does drugs change how individual cells work? How does disease states change how individual cells operate?

Isn't Physiology just about chemical reactions?
purity.png

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
If you truly want to be a competent provider, you'll want to know not just what to do, but why you are doing it. If you're giving meds, they are interacting at the cellular level, so you should want to know how it works. That means learning all the little bitty parts and their functions. And honestly, if you get a good handle on your microbiology, you can extrapolate that to your macro and ultimately have a more comprehensive understanding of the medicine you practice.