A Hardy Thank You to Nursing Home Nurses

My advise to any that have family that just can no longer be taken care of properly at home is make many visits to the nursing homes, day and night. See what they are like. Do not just rely on the sales pitch. I think you would be surprised that there are more good nursing homes than you think. But I think we get called to the lesser ones so often we start lumping them all together. We also start lumping all the nurses into the one or two bad ones we meet.

I would like to see us all shock the nurses we meet by thanking them for doing a job none of us would want to do.

I thank the good NH Nurses all the time (Thanks Terr)!

That said, There are ones that should not take care of rats. As with any profession, you will have your good ones and bad ones. It just irritates me when someone states that all nurses are good and we do not understand their jobs.

Just like in EMS, we have medics and EMTs that I would like to strangle. NHs and Hospitals have their fair share of incompatance. You will find it in any health field.

If you have to put a loved one in a NH, go visit it. Do not buy the admin sales pitch. People used to laugh at me when I stated that I would put my mom in one particular NH. This NH was in a low income neighborhood and was mostly minorities in there. But, the staff was the best I had ever seen and truly cared for their residents. I could go to the fancy ones and see the residents were not happy and were not well cared for.

So don't judge the NH by the outside, visit the inside and see how it really is!

Every employee is going to bring their own personal work ethic to their job. Whether its EMS, LTC or driving a bread truck. The agency they work for is going to be as good as those who run it wish it to be. I've seen both ends of the spectrum in both EMS and LTC.

We have one nursing home in the area that hires all the nurses fired or unemployable from all other agencies. This facility has had its license suspended more times than I can count. Their nursing supervisor was busted for stealing meds from pts.

Yes some of the staff is competent and caring, but those employees don't stay long.

There is another facility not too far from this one, where the staff is professional, courteous and caring. The facility is clean and cheery and not just on visiting day. The bitter sour employee who wants a skate job doesn't last long here.

It's the same with ERs, Fire Districts and EMS agencies. It starts at the top. If they tolerate shoddy work, poor attitude and mediocre service, they will achieve their goal and the agency will reflect their attitude. A crappy agency attracts piss poor employees.

I agree with medic. reaper and bossey, there is good and bad in everything.....

And again focusing on the good hard working LTC nurses. Thank you.

Back