a female perspective, please

reaper

Working Bum
Not all schools are modeled after CO's schools. Some do have plenty of clinicals.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Unfortunately "some" is the keyword.
:sad:

If a student wants real education they should do some research and avoid the diploma mills with basically no clinicals. I was shocked the other day to hear of a school only requiring 45 patient contacts for the ambulance and clinical combined. So honestly that could at a busy service and ER be just 1 shift of each.

Schools like that need to be shut down. Even with basic experience the medics are still going to be lost if they pass NR and get hired.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
So long as ten-week patch factories are still a choice available to the ADD kids who typically choose EMS, they will remain the most popular choice. Quality education is widely available in EMS. Quality people, not so much.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If a student wants real education they should do some research and avoid the diploma mills with basically no clinicals. I was shocked the other day to hear of a school only requiring 45 patient contacts for the ambulance and clinical combined. So honestly that could at a busy service and ER be just 1 shift of each.

Schools like that need to be shut down. Even with basic experience the medics are still going to be lost if they pass NR and get hired.

The last ED I worked in saw 94K patients a year, with (2) twelve hour shifts dividing patients evenly (not realistic as daytime saw more and night saw higher acuity) with 150 patients a shift, you could get 45 contacts in less than 4 hours.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
The last ED I worked in saw 94K patients a year, with (2) twelve hour shifts dividing patients evenly (not realistic as daytime saw more and night saw higher acuity) with 150 patients a shift, you could get 45 contacts in less than 4 hours.
In the ED I went to for my EMT clinical I saw 2 patients. EMT training is a joke.

nightstar22

Forum Crew Member
i do not recall running into any problems.. i work on an ambulance and volunteer on a fire dept. when i joined the fire dept they made me take an agility test. said they were going to start doing it from then on out.. used me as a time guide. however, to my knowledge, they have never made anyone else do this to join. it is still done in trainings but that is about it...
now, i have dated a few guys that did not like the idea that i would be sleeping in the same house with up to 3 guys at a time...