a bit of advise needed..

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ok..I just bought one of those metal clipboards that fold out like 3 different ways..I know a lot of ambulance companies use them mines a bit smaller though and I am using it only for the BLS PCR's from my FD, I was thinking because it has so many surfaces on it..I wanted to maybe type up some "cheat sheets" with useful info...anyone have any suggestions of some stuff to put on there??

EMTAlex209

Forum Probie
GCS for adults and children. Rule of nines. normal vitals for age specific patients. trauma scores. hope that helps.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have a report filled out with hints on report writing. A dummy narrative, fake name, (Melba Toast and Joe Bagadonuts are two of my personal favorites). Also a list of helpful phone numbers, the ER, Red Cross, Dispatch's land line, the chief, etc.

SAMPLE, OPQRST, DCAP-BTLS

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
ok, just made up one sheet...it's got GCS, Normal pedi vital signs, and spinal vertebrae names and number of vertebrae....any other ideas, I'm currently working on getting a list of all phone numbers that one may need on the scene..

Lyss

Forum Probie
I keep a list of normal vitals for infants through to adulthood, all of the hospital codes and phone numbers and a list of common medications with what they're prescriped for and proper dosage.

Rule of 9s, GCS and all that is a good idea too, along with a quick guide to acceptable abbreviations for medical lingo.

OP
OP
E

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea..sounds good...I'm currently looking through by EMS field guide (Basic and Intermediate version) and I'm trying to find stuff on there to throw in..I have enough room for 2 more full 8.5"X11" sheets of info..not that I can think of that much..

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ditto with what others have said:
What I have on my clipboard is:

-- The codes to the doors at all ERs/SNFs that my company frequents
-- The mileages between common transports (I ALWAYS forget to look at the odometer)
-- My frequent partner's EMT #s
-- GCS (adult and peds)
-- The expiration dates of the meds (I am always on the same unit, and nobody uses it at night. WHen I do my checkouts, I check the med seals, then copy the dates).

BEorP

Forum Captain
I keep a list of normal vitals for infants through to adulthood, all of the hospital codes and phone numbers and a list of common medications with what they're prescriped for and proper dosage.

Rule of 9s, GCS and all that is a good idea too, along with a quick guide to acceptable abbreviations for medical lingo.
If you don't know normal adult vitals you should not be working on an ambulance

BEorP

Forum Captain
ok, just made up one sheet...it's got GCS, Normal pedi vital signs, and spinal vertebrae names and number of vertebrae....any other ideas, I'm currently working on getting a list of all phone numbers that one may need on the scene..

What purpose does this serve?

NC-EMT08

Forum Probie
What purpose does this serve?

I'd imagine if a patient has tenderness in their back you can pinpoint its location, i.e. "posterior tenderness at T-2" as opposed to reporting that there is tenderness "in the mid-back area".

It also makes a difference in cases of spinal cord injury and paralysis.

skyemt

Forum Captain
I'd imagine if a patient has tenderness in their back you can pinpoint its location, i.e. "posterior tenderness at T-2" as opposed to reporting that there is tenderness "in the mid-back area".

It also makes a difference in cases of spinal cord injury and paralysis.

it is not going to make any difference in your treatment.. don't waste the space. instead, keep a list of common medical emergencies, and what positive and negative findings need to be documented. since we have done this, our documentation and medical history taking have both improved.