93yo M, drives thru toll booth w/ body in window

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) - A 93-year-old driver apparently suffering from dementia fatally struck a pedestrian and drove for three miles with the man's body through his windshield, police said.

"He may have somewhere in his mind have realized it was a crash, but immediately forgot about it," Jockers said.

The victim's leg was severed in the Wednesday night crash, police said. The man, whose name was not released, was 52.

Parker had renewed his license in 2003.

Read it all here....Man Drives Through Toll With Body on Car

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Nice.....

At some point, we need to take licenses away from old farts.

How many folks have had XYZ "medical problem" and driven through crowds, or through a crosswalk, and killed folks????

Jon

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Reminds me of the LPN in Texas (?) a few years ago who was too high to stop when she did the same thing to someone... So she left him in her garage, stuck in her windshield, STILL BREATHING, until he died. Then she tried to hide his body in a park somewhere.

What is this world coming to???

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Oct 24 2005, 06:16 AM
Nice.....

How many folks have had XYZ "medical problem" and driven through crowds, or through a crosswalk, and killed folks????

Jon
That's sad.. Not just that someone died, but that a lonely elderly man caused an accident. The only reason he was driving for enjoyment was probably because he had nothing else to do. It's like abandoning a child.

As far as driving ages.. They need to have medical tests every year for every age driver. I know 95 y/o couples that are perfectly lucid. What would save lives is making the age to get a license 21, instead of 18. And the age to get a permit should be moved up to 18 instead of 16. And Emergency Vehicle Operation age should be moved to Age 25.

In the last month, on the news 6 highschool age drivers have been killed due to high speed accidents.. Rarely ever any elderly folks killed in accidents locally.

Obviously this man had a medical condition that prevented him from operating a vehicle safely.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR+Oct 24 2005, 05:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TTLWHKR @ Oct 24 2005, 05:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MedicStudentJon@Oct 24 2005, 06:16 AM
Nice.....

Jon
That's sad.. Not just that someone died, but that a lonely elderly man caused an accident. The only reason he was driving for enjoyment was probably because he had nothing else to do. It's like abandoning a child.

As far as driving ages.. They need to have medical tests every year for every age driver. I know 95 y/o couples that are perfectly lucid. What would save lives is making the age to get a license 21, instead of 18. And the age to get a permit should be moved up to 18 instead of 16. And Emergency Vehicle Operation age should be moved to Age 25.

In the last month, on the news 6 highschool age drivers have been killed due to high speed accidents.. Rarely ever any elderly folks killed in accidents locally.

Obviously this man had a medical condition that prevented him from operating a vehicle safely. [/b][/quote]
Yep....

It is 16 and 1/2 to get a Jr. License in PA.

I'd like to see Permit at 16, Jr license at 17 with 250hrs behind the wheel with PARENT, and full license at 18. but LIMITS on who can be in the car until atleast 21.

we've had a bunch of fatal MVA's in the philly region in the last month, all involving young drivers.

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
That's wierd, I heard on the radio, some guy apparently parked in a fire lane (or something like that), cop comes by and tickets hom, and leaves. Only problem is, the guy in the parked car was dead.

I'll see if I can find the story, it's gotta be on the net somewhere if I heard it on the radio.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Wingnut@Oct 25 2005, 12:45 PM
That's wierd, I heard on the radio, some guy apparently parked in a fire lane (or something like that), cop comes by and tickets hom, and leaves. Only problem is, the guy in the parked car was dead.

I'll see if I can find the story, it's gotta be on the net somewhere if I heard it on the radio.
Dead Man Gets Parking Ticket

Would this be the story you're looking for?