911 with San Antonio Acadian?

ams17

Forum Probie
Hey guys,

I've read a lot already on Acadian, both on here and browsing their site. However, I'm still fairly curious as to what percentage they spend on 911 calls. Anyone have any input or experience? From what I understand they are back up to SAFD in the city and are primary 911 county...Does that translate to many 911 responses? I'm not opposed to working transport and such but I would love to be more 911.

Thanks!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
shfd could give you the best response on numbers. Acadian has a handful of 911 trucks, but the majority is IFT.

They do county, but they don't really back up SAFD. The closest to that would be on city lines where the response area is kind of grey, we might both get dispatched. That, or I've called them once or twice for their Bari truck. But as far as backing up 911 inside the city, doesn't really happen.

If you're an EMT-B, Acadian would probably be your best shot to get 911 experience on an ambulance. Them, or BSB.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys,

I've read a lot already on Acadian, both on here and browsing their site. However, I'm still fairly curious as to what percentage they spend on 911 calls. Anyone have any input or experience? From what I understand they are back up to SAFD in the city and are primary 911 county...Does that translate to many 911 responses? I'm not opposed to working transport and such but I would love to be more 911.

Thanks!

Number of emergencies a shift all depends on what unit you are on and where you happen to be. Prob a little over half the volume is emergencies.

No back up to the city except the Bari truck. We do most of the smaller cities like Castle Hills, Balcones Heights etc so it looks like we are in the city sometimes. And the county provider.

As an EMT you could be on BLS unit which is strictly transfers or an ALS unit. All depends on what shifts are open. Course the ALS units do transfers as well-kinda luck of the draw.

OP
OP
A

ams17

Forum Probie
thanks for the replies guys. I'd love to work safd but with the requirement to go fire i'm not sure how long that will take with the number of applicants we have these days. I don't know where else to try.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
thanks for the replies guys. I'd love to work safd but with the requirement to go fire i'm not sure how long that will take with the number of applicants we have these days. I don't know where else to try.

What do you mean about how long it will take? We accept applications starting in a few days. You don't need any certs at all to test, and the majority of people that get in have no certs at all. Drill school is just under 6 months, and you're paid during it. There's normally about 4,000 applicants, but I'm willing to bet there will be less this year since we aren't really going to advertise, and the application period is much shorter this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

ams17

Forum Probie
I called to speak to someone about the process I had read online and they said it could take a few months for me to know if i'm even on to the next step then from there it's 6 months. I would love to do it, but they kind of discouraged me. It was honestly very dissapointing. He kept telling me how many people apply ( men) and have way better scores than the females...etc.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I called to speak to someone about the process I had read online and they said it could take a few months for me to know if i'm even on to the next step then from there it's 6 months. I would love to do it, but they kind of discouraged me. It was honestly very dissapointing. He kept telling me how many people apply ( men) and have way better scores than the females...etc.

There's no doubt it's a long process, but it is definitely worth it. You'll get tons of experience, and the pay and benefits are unbeatable for just about anywhere in the entire country. You'd most certainly still need to get a job between now and starting a class, though. From test date to first class is generally 9 months to a year.

As far as who you spoke with that told you females don't score as well, that's ridiculous. All it is is a general aptitude test. There's nothing that would make it more geared to men. If it seems that way looking at scores, it would likely be just the tremendously higher number of male applicants. I've got a female on my crew, and she's a bad ***. Don't let that stop you from applying.

OP
OP
A

ams17

Forum Probie
Thanks for the positive words and encouragement. I will be applying when apps open up on the 3rd. I'm hoping to start my basic at the uthscsa in january though so i'm not sure how that will affect anything with safd?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I may run into you at UTHSCSA then ;) The one in the med center/greehey campus or one of the satellites? Class won't affect the process at all; it'll just give you a leg up in the academy.

Good luck! If you've got any more specific questions about the process or UTHSCSA, shoot me a pm :)

OP
OP
A

ams17

Forum Probie
actually i'm not sure, i'm still waiting on their decision for me so i'm guessing i'll get the info then. At first they said I wouldn't know if I was accepted until Nov 1 but an advisor contacted me Friday saying I should know in a few days. So, who knows haha. I'll be messaging in just a bit.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't see why you wouldn't get accepted. They don't typically fill up the class. There's so many EMT courses around that it's usually not an issue. Schertz's is the only one I know fills up on a regular basis.