50,000+ pop w/ volunteer services

jefftherealmccoy

Forum Crew Member
Anyone know of any cities with a population of over 50,000 that run a volunteer fire/ambulance service?

One city council member here is trying to purpose a volunteer/combination department so we don't have to raise taxes in our city. The guy's out of his mind if you ask me. A city the size of ours with our call volume... plus we handle the entire county apart from the city which has a population of over100,000 and 1000 square miles... with a volunteer department?

OP
OP
J

jefftherealmccoy

Forum Crew Member
it doesn't look like they have an ambulance service there. private maybe? i'm looking for an example of a fire/ems volunteer department w/o private ambulance.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Indianapolis up until 2002 had 3 volunteer fire departments, including the EMS service. Wayne Township (SW section of Indy, including the Airport) covered about 300,000 during the day.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
it doesn't look like they have an ambulance service there. private maybe? i'm looking for an example of a fire/ems volunteer department w/o private ambulance.

No, VA Beach EMS runs their own ambulances.

Last edited by a moderator:

WBExpatMedic

Forum Crew Member
I've heard of several department in South Carolina that run a combined department. Colleton County Fire & Rescue, Jasper County Fire & Rescue and Horry County Fire & Rescue to name a few. I know that most of the volunteers are for the fire side only and the ambulances are staffed by full or part time employees.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
Prince Georges County Fire Dept in Maryland is a career department that is supplemented very heavily by volunteers. Their population is around 870,000. Some of the stations are 100% volly while some have 9-5 career staff, and others have 24/7 career staff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Actually, if you concentrated the vollie firehouses in the less-populated county areas, assigned paid chauffeurs/engineers and captains, and contracted for ambulance transport, it could work. But setting up volunteer departments is an art as well as a science and it isn't cheap.

CPRinProgress

Forum Lieutenant
Hoboken. In NJ they are volunteer and the population is a little over 50k.

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
I know of several services that use volunteers to supplement the paid staff. Most of the vollies ride as third crew members.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
My old vollies covered an area with a population of >200k. No paid staff to plug the gaps.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What kind of call volume are you looking at for that kind of area?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
City of Pasadena, CA (pop 137,000) Fire Department has an Emergency Medical Services Reserve (EMSR) where EMTs volunteer and serve as third riders on the front line ALS Rescue Ambulances, as well as special event stand by and a reserve disaster response.

www.emsr.org