40 y/o female heat exhaustion

Anonymous

Forum Captain
could be possible hyponatremia...

Any headache? Altered?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Correct me if I'm wrong but...As an EMTb aren't we supposed to transport any patient who is having gastric distress? I'm asking seriously not as a joke or anything.

You don't have to over think it.

It sounds like somebody who is overexerted in heat distress.

First, cooling is what is needed. Which may or may not be done in a hospital.

If this is a sanctioned event, there is probably a mechanism for treating this sort of thing on scene.

Usually after a person vomits a few times they feel better. Often they will be observed, get some oral rehydration, maybe a meal, and be on their merry way.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Who cares about high flow o2?

I just want to see somebody puke into the mask with some kind of compressed gas at 15lpm or greater blowing in it.

You might be able to find vomitus with an otoscope, (as in "OTOscope") after that. Especially if they cough on the rebound.

R

Remo

Back Story: You are standing by as a First Responder for a town biathalon. It is 80 degrees outside. You spot a runner on all fours, who is breathing fast and lightly. You investigate, and says she tired to drink water multiple times in the past 10 min, but it made her feel like vomiting. You radio for an EMT's assistance, who is ten min from your location.

Initial: Airway clear, Breathing. Fast and light Circulation: Cool, clammy skin. Fast pulse. No blood

Assessment: Signs: Cool, clammy skin. Fast pulse. Extreme nasuea. Fast, light breathing.
Allergies: None
Medications: None
Past History: History of fever related seizures? (would this be relavant?) None. No past heat emergencies.
Last oral intake: Drank a watter bottle about 4 hours ago that morning.
Events: Running a biathalon.

Vitals: BP 140/86 Pulse: 120 Respirations: 26 per min

Interventions (done while taking sample): Apply cold compress to forehead, back of neck, and underarms.

Do not transport, monitor patient.

Ongoing: 5 min later, she vomits a lot, and begins complaining of severe abdmonial pain. Skin turning red. Lay patient on strecher, transport to nearest facility.

Any differences? Comments?

I am no expert as this is just the beginning of my EMS knowledge but I was under the impression that cooling a patients body too rapidly will cause shivering, which will actually cause a spike in core body temp.
Slowly cooling the patient via shade or in the back of an air conditioned ambulance would be suffice.

Her vitals signs are a bit elevated, so I would try to keep her calm by having a conversation with her, explain why this is happening to her and reassuring her that everything will be alright.

*The use of oxygen would be beneficial to the patient for it REDUCES nausea and vomiting.

*Transport the patient to the hospital where she will receive fluids and further care.

Last edited by a moderator:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I am no expert as this is just the beginning of my EMS knowledge but I was under the impression that cooling a patients body too rapidly will cause shivering, which will actually cause a spike in core body temp.
Slowly cooling the patient via shade or in the back of an air conditioned ambulance would be suffice.

Her vitals signs are a bit elevated, so I would try to keep her calm by having a conversation with her, explain why this is happening to her and reassuring her that everything will be alright.

*The use of oxygen would be beneficial to the patient for it REDUCES nausea and vomiting.

*Transport the patient to the hospital where she will receive fluids and further care.

I think we've beat this one to death, but for the last time, oxygen does NOT reduce nausea and vomiting. Antiemetics, like Zofran, do that. And yeah, if she wanted to go to the hospital I'd put her in a cool ambulance, start a line and give her Zofran. Other than that, she doesn't need much from EMS. (unless, of course, we want to play the "what if she had a cardiac event" game, but I don't think that's where the OP was going with this)

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Who told you that?

Edit: And ask them by what mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Remo

Who told you that?

Edit: And ask them by what mechanism.

No one told me that but... A lack of oxygen due to over overexertion may cause
nausea as there is a change in the composition of blood being circulated
through the body. If supplemental oxygen was given I only assumed it would
help reverse the effect. I don't know, maybe it doesn't work that way. I was
just thinking of a quick and simple intervention off the top of my head :unsure:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
No one told me that but... A lack of oxygen due to over overexertion may cause
nausea as there is a change in the composition of blood being circulated
through the body. If supplemental oxygen was given I only assumed it would
help reverse the effect. I don't know, maybe it doesn't work that way. I was
just thinking of a quick and simple intervention off the top of my head :unsure:

Could I point you in the direction of Guyton's Medical Physiology.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Surely a bit of common sense comes into this.

I've often told my first aid/FR chaps and chapettes that what they do is medically flavoured common sense. Mostly you just do what is reasonable and sensible and occasionally use a bit of extra learnin to know when to call an ambulance and what to do in the mean time.

But its often a battle. It seems like you give a person a first aid cert and all of a sudden everything is massively over thought in some of the oddest and most confusing ways. "Oh he was pale and sweaty, so he was obviously going into shock. We wrapped him in blankets and put his legs up". "Ah...yeah cool...Soooo you don't think the fact he just came out of a mosh pit had anything to with the pallor and sweatiness?

Really guys, sink 9 beers and jump about to some absurdly loud music...run too far with too little water...during the heat...on a stomach full of curried sausages. See how good you feel. You'll chunder your guts up until you're ready for a another beer. Seriously has no one every done a bit of exercise and found themselves to be nauseated, flushed, tachy and hot..maybe had a bit of cramping. Its really no great mystery whats wrong. You can probably cancel the chopper. Give them a moment in the shade to grow a pair, cool down, drink a bit more water and send them on their way.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
What study is that? One that says oxygen is an antiemetic? got any citations?

Nope. Didn't think to save it and don't care enough to go lit searching :)
But I do remember someone posted it in context for not just giving everyone O2...have a reason whether it be for hypoxia, hypoperfusion, nausea, etc.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Surely a bit of common sense comes into this.

:rofl:

Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

At risk of sounding condecending, many providers of all stripes are educated to regurgitate information, not to extrapolate it.

This is especially true of EMS.

The best teachers I have ever had have taught me how to apply theory to practicality.

The worst are the ones who professed practicality at the expense of theory.

Somewhere in the middle were the theorists who never mentioned the practical because they thought if you knew the theory the practical was so obvious it didn't need to be said.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Definitely something that we're lacking in current education models at least for EMTs. You get a crash course to barely learn the skills, then thrown in. Locally get 3-5 12hr shifts where you more just show basic functioning ability, and off you go to learn how to apply the theory and skills to the patient.

zzyzx

Forum Captain
True, but how much education do you really need to be an EMT in L.A.? For those that work on 911 cars, they always run calls with multiple paramedics on scene. And of course most EMT's working for the zillion ambulance companies in L.A never do anything but BLS transports.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nope. Didn't think to save it and don't care enough to go lit searching :)
But I do remember someone posted it in context for not just giving everyone O2...have a reason whether it be for hypoxia, hypoperfusion, nausea, etc.

Yeah... I'm not a big fan of the "I read it somewhere" posts. If you're going to make a claim that it was published research, at least post the citation. :)