4 Pt, 4 Choppers

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
This weekend our service was dispatched to a Sauna fire with burn vic's(2430hrs)., the LEO's arriving requested a 2nd rig, and an intercept. 1st unit on scene requested 2 choppers, and 1more ALS unit, and two mutual aid units(ALS) and two more choppers. 4 young adults trapped in a sauna with fire in the change room. one vic was yelling for help out of a window too small to egress through, but it worked. This was 25 miles from the ER's and on a narrow drive that only one unit at a time was able to be on. the FD had to wait until all Pt's were loaded before they could get on scene.
4 Pt's, 2 BLS ambulances, 4 ALS ambulances and 4 Choppers were used on that call.
They were dealing with 60% 2nd degree burns with smoke inhalation. No updates on any Pt's

We had family members here from the City(MPLS, Burbs) and they thought they were back in the city that night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
It sounds like it could have been much worse, I wonder what was the cause of the fire?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
That's scary. I assume each helicopter can only transport one? Were all the patients critical? Where did you get that many medivacs?

OP
OP
G

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
The cause of the fire was a skeeder candle and combustible materials in the sauna change room. The skeeders are in full force now with all the rain.

The 4 Choppers is a 1st for our area, But 2 are based in Duluth Life flight, and Luke's 1. They did the arranging for the additional ships. one from the Brainard area and one from the MPLS area. all units were used and at the 2 hospitals when needed.
We hope to hear updates on the vic's, but with the Hippa BS we don't hear like we used to. We used to get letters about every air lifted pt. in the past.