29d-1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
So, we just returned from a rollover. Our first MVC in quite some time. Pt rolled her jeep which came to rest on the rollbars (since the hard top pretty much disintegrated). Pt was fine. No complaints or injuries other than a minor nosebleed which had stopped by the time we got there. Unfortunately, her 2 dogs were unsecured. She had a black Akita/Terrier mix which is still missing. And an approximately 8 month old Brindle colored Boxer. The boxer had Agonal breathing on scene after a bystander retrieved it from a field the dog ran to after the accident. The bystander took the dog to an animal hospital where, despite the efforts of the Vet and his staff, the dog succumbed to her injuries. Our ED nurse broke the news to her after I relayed it since I called the vet to check on the dog. The pt didn't take the news well.

Just a reminder to any dog owners, if your dog rides in your vehicle with you, it might be a good idea to use some type of safety restraint for them.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Just a reminder to any dog owners, if your dog rides in your vehicle with you, it might be a good idea to use some type of safety restraint for them.

Remember during a wreck an unsecured animal is not only in danger of being injured, but can injure you!

FF-EMT Diver

Forum Captain
2 Friends of mine died in an mvc in a t-top corvette, their dog was riding with them and he was nowhere to be found, but he showed up 3wks later. this dog probably will so she'll want to put some signs out, (My friend died 600 yds from his driveway so his dog came back home)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Remember wounded dogs will bite

Dogs* in pain or panicking are liable to bite peple who try to help, and a medim to large dog's bite will injure you through a glove.

*Also dirty caged squirrel monkeys)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What is the title of the thread? Is that a local code for MVC?

But as for securing animals, do it! I used to have a Jeep and never would take the dogs anywhere unless they were belted in too

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I actually have seatbelts for my dogs. It clips from the people seatbelt to a chest harness.

On the dog bite; kling makes a nice muzzle

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Yes, 29D-1 is generally MVC with injuries. We use these as part of our determinant system. The call was actually a 29D-2P. 29 being MVC. Delta being response level (in this case high priority). -2 meaning High Mechanism. Papa is unknown to the crews, and likely a determinant specific to our Comm center regarding additional resources.

BTW, the Akita cross was found the following day after returning to the scene of the MVC. Not a scratch on her, and perfectly healthy despite spending the whole night in -15C temps. Not to mention the coyotes.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
Sad about the boxer. The Akita those temps are similar to their natural environment and they are built to live in that. As far as the boxer going out into the field, dogs know when they're going to die as most animals do and they will try to leave "the pack" and die alone when they know it's coming. We have the harnesses for ours that bossy mentioned and they work well but a dogs body still can't handle the forces that humans can when involved in an accident.

OP
OP
RESQ_5_1

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not sure about the Boxer, but I figure the Akita/Terrier took off out of fear. It was reported running along the ditch headed back the way they had come.