24 hour shifts

Mike Honcho

Forum Probie
This is my first post. I've read quite a bit on this site and it's been really helpful. I'm almost done with my EMT-B program and was wondering if anyone knew how the ambulance companies in the Dallas area paid on 24hr shifts. I'd like to start working 24hr shifts so that I can work and go to Paramedic school in February. Thanks

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
if i remember right, if you work 2-24... you get paid first 40 and the next 8 hrs time and half.. so to figure the pay. you take your hourly rate and times it by 52

medicman90

Forum Crew Member
Naah...

If you're on call, you're working.

End of discussion.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
This is my first post. I've read quite a bit on this site and it's been really helpful. I'm almost done with my EMT-B program and was wondering if anyone knew how the ambulance companies in the Dallas area paid on 24hr shifts. I'd like to start working 24hr shifts so that I can work and go to Paramedic school in February. Thanks

Most 24hr shifts at IFT companies are awarded based on seniority... good lucky getting one as a brand new EMT.

However, atleast at AMR, they pay in a way that whether you work 12 or 24, you end up making the same salary in the year.

medicman90

Forum Crew Member
Most 24hr shifts at IFT companies are awarded based on seniority... good lucky getting one as a brand new EMT.

However, atleast at AMR, they pay in a way that whether you work 12 or 24, you end up making the same salary in the year.

What is IFT? "IFT ambulance" doesn't google up an answer...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Inter-facility Transfer.

Hospital to hospital, ER to nursing home, private home to dialysis, etc etc

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't mind it, a lot of the people who have been here longer dislike it.

On one hand, if I'm on the clock, I think I should be getting paid, however, on the other hand, if I'm sleeping, why should I get paid? I have mixed feelings.

That is where people should organize, form a union, have the union should step in and do something.

If you are sleeping in a bunk, ready to respond, it is providing a service to your employer.

Sleeping at home is not the SAME as at a headquarters. When you sleep at home, you have your privacy, you can get up and go out to a dinner, no need to have your stuff laid out ready to roll.

Not to mention the employee needs to review their check and keep notes and compare, and employer could always 'forget' that there was a call one night....

Apparantly it does not violate the current law in some areas.

I hate the "why should they get paid to sleep excuse ?"....the person is getting paid to be on call to respond.

Mike Honcho

Forum Probie

How is much the salary at AMR for a new EMT?

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I do. The guy who was my FTO does as well. I think a couple other people might. I've not seen any mistakes yet, though, our times are recorded 2 different ways, we write them down on a time sheet and they're recorded at dispatch. I'm sure they could screw a lot of people if they wanted to, but I haven't seen it yet.

I worked awhile at a car service.

Thet paid minimum wage while on duty + a percent of all trips performed.

They were known to make a few errors, sometimes either way...

Yet they always corrected the errors where they lost on their own....

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How many 12hr shifts can you work in a week? Is 10.55 pretty standard. Thanks for the help

Depends on your shift. I know some EMTs who work 7 days a week (By choice)

The typical shift on an ALS truck is 24 one week and 60 the next. My schedule is M/W, and every other F/S/S.

Fox800

Forum Captain
We don't have EMT's on our units, but we are paid per hour, and any hour beyond 40 is paid at 1.5X.

Mike Honcho

Forum Probie
Like everyone else, I'd like to find a way to make as much money as I can while I'm in Paramedic school. That's why I was hoping that I could get on a 24hr shift somewhere to be able to work on one of the off days from class.

I'm taking EMT at Methodist and with Careflight being in the hospital working there would make life easier.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
That is where people should organize, form a union, have the union should step in and do something.

If you are sleeping in a bunk, ready to respond, it is providing a service to your employer.

Exactly! The employer gets dedicated coverage for............ free? If you get a call then and only then you get paid? Sounds more than a little one sided to me. If no union, the employees can always vote with their feet. I'm willing to bet that in areas with a large amount of competition for employment, the paid on call thing won't fly. If you're the only game in town, then you can get away with murder.

Edit: Being POC is basically volunteering your time to be ready for a call. If I want to volunteer, I'll do it with the local volunteer rescue squad, not where I'm supposed to be earning a living.

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Like everyone else, I'd like to find a way to make as much money as I can while I'm in Paramedic school. That's why I was hoping that I could get on a 24hr shift somewhere to be able to work on one of the off days from class.

I'm taking EMT at Methodist and with Careflight being in the hospital working there would make life easier.

Why don't you try tending bar, or maybe bouncing if you've got the size and skills for it?