1st week of emtb class - questions

ajsellaroli

Forum Probie
Hey everyone, well as some of you know, I am taking this class, and I was hoping to get a little help with it.

The book we are using is called AAOS Emergency care and transport of the Sick and Injured. In the first week, we are covering chapters 1-6. that is 200 pages. I have been reading alot, but I'm only on page 64. I find it takes me an hour to do about 8 or 9 pages, if I really take in and understand what I'm reading. the problem is, I'm behind. I'm still in chapter 2, and on saturday (from 8 am to 4 pm) we'll be covering chapters 3-6. How did you who have already graduated from the class do it? did you really do all the reading, or did you just skim through, etc?? I'm planning on reading all day today, but still, I don't think i can make it.

EMS - related question: I'm in the 'well-being of the emt' section, and it's talking about reporting when you've had exposure to communicable diseases. Do I still report it if blood from somebody with a communicable disease gets on my skin, like on my bare arm, or does this only apply to mucous membrane exp., needle sticks, etc??

One last question, about hazardous materials - they say there is a scale from 1 - 4 of how dangerous a hazardous material is, but the signs in the book show that they go up to 8. why would the numbers on the pictures of the signs be above 4??

I'm sorry for all the questions, I was planning on asking my instructor, but i'd rather find out now, as I continue my reading. Thanks for being willing to help, I am enjoying the class so far, it seems to be alot of work, but still, it's worth it.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
You don’t need to report an exposure when you get blood on your skin, but you should try to avoid it obviously. Like you mentioned, mucus membranes and needle sticks should be reported and checked.

You should take a haz-mat awareness course ASAP which will teach you the bare minimum of what you need to know about hazardous materials as an EMT. There are 9 different classifications of hazardous materials. Class 1 is Explosives, Class two is Gases, Class 3 is Flammable liquids, etc. Within these classes, there are divisions, 1.1,1.2,1.3, etc. So, for example, you might see a placard with a small 1 at the bottom and a larger 1.4 at the top. The small 1 indicates it’s an explosive. The larger 1.4 indicates it’s an explosive with no significant blast hazard.

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
My course wasn't as fast paced. It must be a quick summer course. The only part I skimmed over was the patient assessment sections. They tended to repeat themselves painfully in each chapter. But when the Pt assessment chapter comes, really understand it. It's really the only challenging skill to master at the skill stations.

Ch 3: Understand the importance of HIPAA, the different types of consent, negligence, assault and battery, presumptive and definitive signs of death.

Really focus on the human body and baseline vitals chapters.

I hated chapter 6. Just know the different type of stretchers etc, how to carry up and down stairs, on the count of 3, etc. Lift with palms facing up using the power grip.

Your classmates are most likely in the same boat as you. I discovered during my class that when I thought I was behind, others were even further behind than I was.

Good luck to you. I am sure you will do fine.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I found that skimming the chapter before class helped me identify those areas that were unclear (for instance, what exactly constitutes 'exposure') Those were the areas that I would ask the instructor about in class. Chances are, if you aren't getting it, there's at least one other student in the class similarly confused. Feedback from the student is one of the best tools an instructor has.

I suggest reading the chapter before class, with a highlighter in hand. Then in class, keep the book open on your desk during lecture periods so you can sort of follow along with what the instructor is saying if the instructor says something that is confusing to you, raising your hand and asking "Huh????" is always appropriate.

MrSmall

Forum Ride Along
we're in week 7 of my EMT-B class, it moves FAST, the entire class is 10 chapters behind. Our instructors understand the curriculum moves too fast to keep up here though.. Unless you're able to give 100% of your time to studying you cannot keep up... 1 month I get to take nationals!!! :)

Shabo

Forum Probie
ajsellaroli,

Yes, read the text. Our class started with 32 and ended with 18 passing... Why, mainly because the others didn't keep up with the reading. There is a lot to read and soak in but the effort you put in now will pay off later. If you have the text read before class you'll get more out of the lecture and know what you need clarification on. In addition, it'll be your 2nd exposure to the material so you'll retain more. B) To help with test reviews check out www.emtb.com (it goes with your book).

Some of my classmates found it helpful to have a highlighter in class to mark the sections the prof. emphasized, or (if allowed) record the lecture.

The AAOS book doesn't always bold the important words or phrases. So skimming will leave you behind the 8 ball.

Good luck in your class,
Shabo

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Suggestions, highlight important areas, such as the objectives that are in the front of the chapter. Make notes of those highleted areas. This eleminates some of the B.S.

As well, do you potentially have reading problems? Your school may have outside classes or instructors that can assist you. As an educator, I found many adults do and after placing them such help, their score and comprehension improved.

To answer the blood exposure questions: All blood exposed to skin, be it known or not to be having diseases, technically should be reported. One does not know, if you have a minor scratch, (as well viruses enter through absorption) etc., and majority of the time; we do not know if they are diseased or not, without reporting it, one will never know.

Good luck in class!

R/r 911