1st post, no training, very curious.

SpudsMcKenzie

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

Well to start things out Im 20 and been looking into becoming an EMT, will be starting my first round of school in april but as many others I am overwhealmed. If more expierinced people could share some words I would greatly appreciate it. Some questions I have are:

1. What are days of an EMT like, now I know all arent the same but what do you think of your day and job? What do you do?

2. Not that Im doing it for the money but it is a career I would like to pursue. When you are first starting out what does pay look like? As school goes on what oppurtunitys come along the way?

3. What are the internships like during school? Ride alongs, hospital, etc. Do you get paid for them?

These are my main questions I have...I have alot but sure they will be answered in due time. I realize these are probly very generic questions but any personal advice or expierences would be nice. Thank Yall in advance!

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
Well last night I sat at post for 3 hours before I got a call. I watched part of a movie and took a nap. I enjoy my job. I work 1900-0500 so it's either real slow or real busy. I work for a BLS company so we do transports and also run 911 calls with the county when needed.

The pay isn't great but it's more than minimum wage. $10.25 You'll get paid more as a paramedic.

You don't get paid for hospital clinicals and ride alongs. Internship is just a proper way of saying ride alongs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roman506

Forum Probie
My service we work 24 on 48 off. Even though right now i'm on 72 straight. As far as call volume it depends. Sometimes we do nothing but run, days like today we haven't ran a single call. Yet

As far as pay, we get paid Emt's get paid 7.25, and Medics around 10 or 11 dollars. I am about to go to Intermediate school and make another .50 cents an hour.

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
When you say you are starting off school in April I assume you mean college? Are you already enrolled in the EMT course?

April is a little ways a way I would suggest looking into a volunteer EMS company around you and applying to join there. Most places have explorer/junior/probationary member positions. They may make you take a CPR class first but that won't be hard to obtain at all. Then you can run with them and do 911 calls and see what it is like first hand. They may even pay for your EMT class if you continue to run with them after you gain your cert.

I run night shift and weekend days. I can sit around for 12 hours during my shift and have 1 or 2 even no calls. Other days I can go in and before I get the rig check done already get banged out for a call and won't have time to get back to the building until were off the clock. I enjoy it a lot. It really is a good time.

You won't get paid for your clinical rotations. Its part of your schooling. Your paying to go there. As you continue to go through your career you can further your knowledge and go to Medic School, continue and become a flight medic or even a RN. Not saying that you shouldn't be actively taking classes as just an EMT. Education doesn't end when you get your EMT Cert. Always more things to learn and perfect.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

bubbagump

Forum Ride Along
If you dont mind getting paid less than a waitress at applebees, then your fine. Days are long and sometimes very boring. I cant speak for everyone only myself, I work at a private ambulance company. We do IFT's all day with the occasional "emergency" once every 6 months. I honestly feel like a taxi driver. But hey it is good to know that you get to help people everyday.

OP
OP
SpudsMcKenzie

SpudsMcKenzie

Forum Ride Along
Sorry I have 32 hours of college but looking to not go down the college route...just not for me :sad: but where I live there are two ways, the medic down at my local fire station told me. There is a 2 year degree for it and TEEX a school offers emt classes this is where I will enroll in april.

dave0811

Forum Probie
If you plan to get a paramedic degree i wouldnt count on it just taking two years. idk about where your from, but in so.cal you need min 6 months full time exp. of pre hospital.ER tech doesnt count. before you can even get into paramedic school. It used to be you needed 1 year of exp. but i dont know what its like around your area

Last edited by a moderator:

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Hello all,

Well to start things out Im 20 and been looking into becoming an EMT, will be starting my first round of school in april but as many others I am overwhealmed. If more expierinced people could share some words I would greatly appreciate it. Some questions I have are:

1. What are days of an EMT like, now I know all arent the same but what do you think of your day and job? What do you do? it varies from day to day, and depends on shift. i am busier during the day, than i am at night. What do i do?- respond to calls :p

2. Not that Im doing it for the money but it is a career I would like to pursue. When you are first starting out what does pay look like? As school goes on what oppurtunitys come along the way? depends on where you live how much u get paid. one place i make $9.50/hr on the ambulance. my other job in the hospital, i make $12. so it all depends.

3. What are the internships like during school? Ride alongs, hospital, etc. Do you get paid for them? ride time and clinicals are so much fun, because you get to be in the environment, but still have the security of your preceptor there when u are unsure of something. and unfortunately you dont get paid for it. but it would be nice :)

These are my main questions I have...I have alot but sure they will be answered in due time. I realize these are probly very generic questions but any personal advice or expierences would be nice. Thank Yall in advance!

hope i answered ur questions ok :)

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
If you dont mind getting paid less than a waitress at applebees, then your fine. Days are long and sometimes very boring. I cant speak for everyone only myself, I work at a private ambulance company. We do IFT's all day with the occasional "emergency" once every 6 months. I honestly feel like a taxi driver. But hey it is good to know that you get to help people everyday.

Taxi is spelled "ambulance"... i thought you knew^_^

Joe

Forum Captain
i absolutely love ems. just the variety of people and calls you run keeps me interrested. last week i had trouble sleeping because i was excited to go to work. it was like the first day of school (except this doesnt suck when you get to work) yea you run bs calls but i still cant believe they pay me to do this. where we are the pay is higher than 10 an hr. i work 1400-0200 weds-sat. average day is rig checkout then we either get posted at a station till the levels get low then we post on street corners (were one of two 12hr cars) we run about 6-7 calls on a busy shift.

like i said pay is low but there is always ot so pick up a shift and thats and extra 100 or more bucks.

when i went through school it was all hospital time and no ambulance time. i spent 48 hrs in a hospital er. some of the best times in school.

remember just because you get your emt card your not guarenteed a job in these times.