18 Fr Salem Sump tube up the nose?

8jimi8

CFRN
I was in the back of the box with one of the Paramedic instructors last week and we were treating a man found unresponsive, in a pool of his own vomit. He had a camelbak full of liquor and in his pocket a bottle full of soma. The medic asked me to prep a tube so that we could empty his stomach contents. Now then in the morning, i had noticed that all of the NG tubes had been replaced with 18fr Salem Sump tubes.

Am I mistaken in thinking that these are OG tubes, not NG?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I was in the back of the box with one of the Paramedic instructors last week and we were treating a man found unresponsive, in a pool of his own vomit. He had a camelbak full of liquor and in his pocket a bottle full of soma. The medic asked me to prep a tube so that we could empty his stomach contents. Now then in the morning, i had noticed that all of the NG tubes had been replaced with 18fr Salem Sump tubes.

Am I mistaken in thinking that these are OG tubes, not NG?

OG or NG it is just the route, the tubes can be used for either.

R/r 911

emtjack02

Forum Lieutenant
rid is once again correct. I placed a 18 sump last day down rt nare.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
i guess it just freaked me out because when the medic tried to drop it, it was OBVIOUSLY WAY TOO BIG, made the guys nose bleed and he couldn't have gotten it in there without a great deal of force.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
i guess it just freaked me out because when the medic tried to drop it, it was OBVIOUSLY WAY TOO BIG, made the guys nose bleed and he couldn't have gotten it in there without a great deal of force.

House of God rule, there is NO body cavity too small for a tube. With that saying, it is not uncommon to rupture some membranes with a NG tube, one has to be careful especially for those on blood thinners (etc). Usually an 18Fr is not that big of a tube, try a Code 3 irrigation tube... now, that's a big one ....

R/r 911

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
House of God rule, there is NO body cavity too small for a tube. With that saying, it is not uncommon to rupture some membranes with a NG tube, one has to be careful especially for those on blood thinners (etc). Usually an 18Fr is not that big of a tube, try a Code 3 irrigation tube... now, that's a big one ....

R/r 911

Yeah, some use what are called evacuators. They are very large bore as well. I believe approximately the same circumference as actual suction hose. they are designed to suction out large pill fragments, but are generally reserved for confirmed recent ingestion, for when you need to get them out quick to save the pt's life. I want to say ~15", maybe less.

Some people will ingest their multiple rocks of crack to keep from getting caught red-handed by the police. The moment that happens, you're punching a time clock.

Once you see that "Alaskan Pipeline" get snaked down a nare a time or two, an 18Fr is nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
thanks for the reality check. As a rookie I am apt to be too gentle with my patients. I cautiously asked the medic if it was solely an og tube and he disagreed, so I was reluctant to question him again. Thanks again for the up to date infos.