10 things I've learned from EMTLIFE

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Hi guys anyone feel like winning a sticker?

Here is how it works. Only the first 5 qualified submissions win a sticker on this one.

List 10 things that you have learned while reading threads here on the forum. Let's try and make most of them medically related but feel free to add some humor.

Remember only the first 5 qualified entries get the sticker so get cracking.

good luck!

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
1. Spelling and proper grammar is overrated :rolleyes:
2. Prehospital administration of IV fluid in trauma leads to higher mortality
3. Learned a lot about EKG's
4. How horrible EMT-B education really is
5. The difference between PEEP and CPAP
6. People with 3rd degree burns can/may still feel pain, despite common myth
7. Always treat the patient not the machine
8. The importance and usefulness of capnography
9. Never get tunnel vision and don't assume
10. Everyone with foreign objects in questionable places "slipped and fell"

Veneficus

Forum Chief

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
1. Concentrate on what your trying to put into words. Emotions are poorly expressed over writeen forums.
2. The EMS community is pretty tight knit. (more than I thought)
3. I'm glad I dont have to try and get a job in California.
4. Even though you think your right in your treatment, there may be more than one way to do something and get the same end result.
5. What product to buy/not to buy (boots, pen lights, etc)
6. How limited EMS (pre-hospital) education is compared to the rest of the world.
7. A lot of info on different conditions you don't see everyday.
8. How to cope with bad calls...
9. How to better treat an elderly pt compared to treatment of a 40 yr old pt.
10. What an LVAD is and how to better treat a pt with one.
many more..

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

1. Spelling and proper grammar is overrated :rolleyes:
2. Prehospital administration of IV fluid in trauma leads to higher mortality
3. Learned a lot about EKG's
4. How horrible EMT-B education really is
5. The difference between PEEP and CPAP
6. People with 3rd degree burns can/may still feel pain, despite common myth
7. Always treat the patient not the machine
8. The importance and usefulness of capnography
9. Never get tunnel vision and don't assume
10. Everyone with foreign objects in questionable places "slipped and fell"

First winner. Number 10 should be in the textbooks.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
- Treat the patient AND the machine. (All the debates on pulse oximetry, and then reading articles from members of this site, TomB's Treat the patient not the monitor?, JPINFV's 4 Phrases That Should Never Be Said on an Ambulance)
- Writing narratives. I used a lot of examples from this website, but also really liked what JPINFV wrote PreSOAPeD.
- Backboarding can be harmful; we do a poor job of immobilizing. Thanks to this, I learned a lot about the NEXUS criterias and the Canadian criterias. A lot of good debates on this with a lot of research to back it up.
- Oxygen administration in somebody with a good SaO2 isn't helpful, it may even be harmful. It's an arteriole constrictor. Lots of good debates on oxygen with a lot of research to back it up.
- My character flaws, and people from the website helping me with it: Sasha, Fast65, NVRob.
- Sgarbossa's criterias. I also have to give credit to TomB's website ems12leads (he uses a slightly different criteria that includes using the ST/QRS ratio). I am pretty sure I've seen Usalfyre mention this one a couple of times.
- One of my favorite things I learned I think was from Usalfyre, I think it was mentioned in the 100% directionless thread, the Kruger-Dunning effect. It's not only something I notice in other people, but something I apply to myself to keep myself in check too.
- Accomodation in PERLLA. It was recently brought up, but I also learned the correct way to access for it a long time ago from here I believe. I know at one point, I didn't assess for it correctly and thought it meant something complete different.
- Veneficus alternative to using a commercial traction splint.
- I think an interesting one I read awhile ago was about giving glucose to patient's with stroke-like patients, I think it was Rid Ryder saying along the lines of "Are you guys crazy? The patient is hypoglycemic, with or without a stroke, the brain needs sugar", he brought up the Kreb's cycle too, JPINFV talked about the LA Prehospital Stroke Scale with BGL being one of the criterias.

I tried thinking of the ones that I could directly say who I learned it from or where within the site. I've learned a lot thanks to this website, but I'd say it's difficult to say I learned it from here. A lot of people that go to this website I talked to outside of the website like on Facebook: Veneficus, JPINFV, Sasha, NVRob, Fast65, MrBrown (that guy was awesome), Katgrl, USAFMedic, and even learned things from medicRob even though he turned out to be a phony. I was also guided a lot rather than directly taught things e.g. told about theEMTSpot, ems12lead, recommended books like Rapid Interpretation by Dubin, Bates' Guides to Physical Examination & History Taking, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Hill's General Chemistry, Raven's Biology, etc. Some things I wasn't told e.g. what is the Kreb's Cycle, but rather I had to look it up because I saw it (I did eventually get to learn it in detail from Raven's Biology).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

1. Concentrate on what your trying to put into words. Emotions are poorly expressed over writeen forums.
2. The EMS community is pretty tight knit. (more than I thought)
3. I'm glad I dont have to try and get a job in California.
4. Even though you think your right in your treatment, there may be more than one way to do something and get the same end result.
5. What product to buy/not to buy (boots, pen lights, etc)
6. How limited EMS (pre-hospital) education is compared to the rest of the world.
7. A lot of info on different conditions you don't see everyday.
8. How to cope with bad calls...
9. How to better treat an elderly pt compared to treatment of a 40 yr old pt.
10. What an LVAD is and how to better treat a pt with one.
many more..

Another winner. That's two stickers taken and three left.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

- Treat the patient AND the machine. (All the debates on pulse oximetry, and then reading articles from members of this site, TomB's Treat the patient not the monitor?, JPINFV's 4 Phrases That Should Never Be Said on an Ambulance)
- Writing narratives. I used a lot of examples from this website, but also really liked what JPINFV wrote PreSOAPeD.
- Backboarding can be harmful; we do a poor job of immobilizing. Thanks to this, I learned a lot about the NEXUS criterias and the Canadian criterias. A lot of good debates on this with a lot of research to back it up.
- Oxygen administration in somebody with a good SaO2 isn't helpful, it may even be harmful. It's an arteriole constrictor. Lots of good debates on oxygen with a lot of research to back it up.
- My character flaws, and people from the website helping me with it: Sasha, Fast65, NVRob.
- Sgarbossa's criterias. I also have to give credit to TomB's website ems12leads (he uses a slightly different criteria that includes using the ST/QRS ratio). I am pretty sure I've seen Usalfyre mention this one a couple of times.
- One of my favorite things I learned I think was from Usalfyre, I think it was mentioned in the 100% directionless thread, the Kruger-Dunning effect. It's not only something I notice in other people, but something I apply to myself to keep myself in check too.
- Accomodation in PERLLA. It was recently brought up, but I also learned the correct way to access for it a long time ago from here I believe. I know at one point, I didn't assess for it correctly and thought it meant something complete different.
- I think an interesting one I read awhile ago was about giving glucose to patient's with stroke-like patients, I think it was Rid Ryder saying along the lines of "Are you guys crazy? The patient is hypoglycemic, with or without a stroke, the brain needs sugar", he brought up the Kreb's cycle too, JPINFV talked about the LA Prehospital Stroke Scale with BGL being one of the criterias.

I tried thinking of the ones that I could directly say who I learned it from or where within the site. I've learned a lot thanks to this website, but I'd say it's difficult to say I learned it from here. A lot of people that go to this website I talked to outside of the website like on Facebook: Veneficus, JPINFV, Sasha, NVRob, Fast65, MrBrown (that guy was awesome), Katgrl, USAFMedic, and even learned things from medicRob even though he turned out to be a phony. I was also guided a lot rather than directly taught things e.g. told about theEMTSpot, ems12lead, recommended books like Rapid Interpretation by Dubin, Bates' Guides to Physical Examination & History Taking, Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Hill's General Chemistry, Raven's Biology, etc. Some things I wasn't told e.g. what is the Kreb's Cycle, but rather I had to look it up because I saw it (I did eventually get to learn it in detail from Raven's Biology).

Outstanding! You make a good point that a persons ability to teach has very little to do with their qualifications to do so and much more to do with the students desire to learn.

3 stickers taken 2 left.

Achilles

Forum Moron
1. They're a lot of people with good info to learn.
2. Anjel is from Michigan
3. BBG is a cool guy
4. Don't be rude
5. There's a lot more to learn than what you leaned in school.
6. The inbox only holds 500 PM's
7. The ranks resemble that of a FD
8. People on here are always willing to learn
9. Bumping threads is not allowed.
10. MMIZ put the M in EMTLife

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

1. They're a lot of people with good info to learn.
2. Anjel is from Michigan
3. BBG is a cool guy
4. Don't be rude
5. There's a lot more to learn than what you leaned in school.
6. The inbox only holds 500 PM's
7. The ranks resemble that of a FD
8. People on here are always willing to learn
9. Bumping threads is not allowed.
10. MMIZ put the M in EMTLife

Yes, yes I am a cool guy.

1 sticker left folks who wants it.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
One of my favorite things I learned I think was from Usalfyre, I think it was mentioned in the 100% directionless thread, the Kruger-Dunning effect. It's not only something I notice in other people, but something I apply to myself to keep myself in check too.
Can't take credit for it, I learned it from Veneficus.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
1. There is no need to carry all my gear on me.
2. People will do some really stupid things and get themselves hurt.
3. I still have a lot left to learn.
4. I've learned what to look for to avoid some pranks I never even thought of before.
5. I've learned some cute things to say to patients to try to lighten things up a bit.
6. I've learned to refresh a thread before hitting post, to make sure there aren't new replies that would make my reply no longer needed.
7. Medical people can have a sick sense of humor.
8. I've learned how to avoid looking like a whacker (I hope).
9. The search button is your friend.
10. Sometimes the search button will still fail you, if you're looking for abbreviations.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

1. There is no need to carry all my gear on me.
2. People will do some really stupid things and get themselves hurt.
3. I still have a lot left to learn.
4. I've learned what to look for to avoid some pranks I never even thought of before.
5. I've learned some cute things to say to patients to try to lighten things up a bit.
6. I've learned to refresh a thread before hitting post, to make sure there aren't new replies that would make my reply no longer needed.
7. Medical people can have a sick sense of humor.
8. I've learned how to avoid looking like a whacker (I hope).
9. The search button is your friend.
10. Sometimes the search button will still fail you, if you're looking for abbreviations.

Great job!

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Folks with that last post we have our 5 winners and this contest is now closed. Feel free to continue to comment on what was posted here though and please stay tuned for future contests. Don't forget to subscribe to this forum so that you will be notified of future chances to win :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Did you learn that from a psychology book?

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Nice work winners. All prizes were mailed out today. Please allow 14 days for them to arrive. If they haven't arrived after 14 days please contact me.

Stay tuned for more contests.

As always we would like to thank everyone for being an active part of EMTLIFE.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

I didn't make the list of people you talk to? <_<

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Did you learn that from a psychology book?

Lol,

Not a chance, I don't read psychology books.

I must have picked it up somewhere, I don't remember.
(for some reason I have a lot of friends in psych but I have no use for it myself.)

But when you are right, you are right.