ems discounts on food and stuff

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
For those of you in the Boston area, Randolph Cafe (on rt 28, 1/4 mile from 128) offers a pretty steep discount to on-duty (uniformed) LEOs, FFs and EMTs. It's a nice gig if posted south of the city.

This sounds like a promising stop on the return to base. I feel like every shift ends on 28 no matter where I am.

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
For those of you in the Boston area, Randolph Cafe (on rt 28, 1/4 mile from 128) offers a pretty steep discount to on-duty (uniformed) LEOs, FFs and EMTs. It's a nice gig if posted south of the city.
I don't know about a discount but Harrows chicken pot pie is to die for.

hoss42141

Forum Crew Member
Depending on where you are, you can get up to 50% off on food here as long as you are in uniform. Most don't abuse it since you drive an ambulance every where you go.

Minnick27

Forum Crew Member
Oh and on a non food related discount, the Please Touch Museum is free admission with FD id. Don't know if it applies to EMT cards or not.

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
I used to be an Explorer for one of the fire districts around where I live, and I remember a few firefighters mentioned (fairly often) that the Chick-Fil-A near one of our stations would give police officers free food, while firefighters and EMS didn't get a discount. Anyways, they always said that if that particular Chick-Fil-A was ever on fire, they'd just tell them to call the police station. :p

Yeah, the chickfila around here gives us the "police special" even though we are fire/rescue...

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Around where I live, Dairy Queen and Chik-fil-a gives us a 50% off discount. On duty or off duty, just show your badge. I think Denny's does, too, but I'm not completely positive.

jamesm

Forum Probie
I know the McD's where I use to live only gave discounts to paid rescue, fire, ambos and police. Any ways I was there one night after doing some rescue training with the State Emergency Service, two paramedics were ahead of me in line, we started chatting about our day. Once we got to the end of the line we all ordered, they were all given discounts except me. I asked why, she said that only paid emergency services get discounts - I was not that fussed and sat down and ate my meal with the paramedics.

Two days later I was called out for a rescue of a back packer who got them self caught over the side of the cliff - mission complete. On our way back to base I decided not to take my harness, helmet and other gadgets off because of the media presence.

Anyways on the way to base i pulled into McD's with full PPE, harness - the works. The same girl was at the register, I ordered the same meal and she said something on the lines of "And your not getting a discount today" and I replied back somewhat loudly as I was somewhat grumpy from been out in the cold on a rope "I know and I never asked for one becuase I know you don't give discounts to Rescue volunteers"

The funniest thing happened the manager ran out almost pushed her out of the way, I got the meal free with a upsize and from this day on that McD's gives rescue volunteers %45 off.

IRIDEZX6R

Forum Captain
I know the McD's where I use to live only gave discounts to paid rescue, fire, ambos and police. Any ways I was there one night after doing some rescue training with the State Emergency Service, two paramedics were ahead of me in line, we started chatting about our day. Once we got to the end of the line we all ordered, they were all given discounts except me. I asked why, she said that only paid emergency services get discounts - I was not that fussed and sat down and ate my meal with the paramedics.

Two days later I was called out for a rescue of a back packer who got them self caught over the side of the cliff - mission complete. On our way back to base I decided not to take my harness, helmet and other gadgets off because of the media presence.

Anyways on the way to base i pulled into McD's with full PPE, harness - the works. The same girl was at the register, I ordered the same meal and she said something on the lines of "And your not getting a discount today" and I replied back somewhat loudly as I was somewhat grumpy from been out in the cold on a rope "I know and I never asked for one becuase I know you don't give discounts to Rescue volunteers"

The funniest thing happened the manager ran out almost pushed her out of the way, I got the meal free with a upsize and from this day on that McD's gives rescue volunteers %45 off.

Woa, what wicked fast food chik... I'm sure she'll rethink that next time she falls over a cliff...

Lozenger19

Forum Crew Member
I've been given free stuff (drinks and ice cream) at McD's and been given 50% off at subway and BK. domino's pizza and Nandos always give us a 20% discount

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
http://www.usstandardissue.com/ gives discounts to ems, police, fire, and military
Unfortunately, you have to be a Government employee and likely to use the equipment in a ballistic environment. I used to be signed up on that site. When I put in for a renewal, I was denied because while I'm a Government employee, I'm not likely to use it in a ballistic environment. I'm also a Paramedic. If I worked for a Private service that does 911, I'd be SOL. If I worked for a Govermental entity doing 911, I'd be OK... They really have tightened up on their eligibility rules from when I first signed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I have occasionally gotten discounts at restaurants or I've gotten priority service at some restaurants... but I have never asked or demanded that I get a discount. They either give the discount or they don't, and it's always their call whether or not the discount is given. If I do get a discount, I usually give a significant tip for the services provided, or it's based the regular value of the meal, never the discounted amount.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
I didn't read the other posts so this isn't directed at anyone in particular.....

If you recieve discounts you are lucky

If you ask for discounts you are a tool

If you keep a list of places that give discounts and constantly hit them up you are abusing the system and are a tool

SSwain

Forum Captain
During my ride times, one station I was at would flip for DQ Blizzards.
One night I lost, and had to buy. We took the rig to the DQ and me and a medic went in to pick them up. I whipped out my wallet and was told by the manager, "You guys are here enough, this one's on the house."

Apparently it happens like every 5th or 6th time they go there.
My luck it happened to be my time to buy.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
Unfortunately, you have to be a Government employee and likely to use the equipment in a ballistic environment. I used to be signed up on that site. When I put in for a renewal, I was denied because while I'm a Government employee, I'm not likely to use it in a ballistic environment. I'm also a Paramedic. If I worked for a Private service that does 911, I'd be SOL. If I worked for a Govermental entity doing 911, I'd be OK... They really have tightened up on their eligibility rules from when I first signed up.

I signed up just a few months ago, I work for a private ambulance that does mostly non emergency bls transports, some ALS and critical care transports ect. But no 911, they approved me with my work ID.

Nathan

Forum Crew Member
Before I got canned at McD's, I used to promo random stuff off the bill for pd/fd/ems/military (and honestly anyone who asked...) Probably one of the big reasons why I was canned...lol