ems discounts on food and stuff

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Some businesses will post a notice near the register about discounts.

The Autozone stores in my area give a discount to military, police, or fire department members when they show proof of membership. So does a local military shop called 'The Army Barracks'

9D4

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been given a crap load of toppings for no extra charge at Subway without asking, and Dominos has given me a pizza before, again without asking.

The martial arts studio next to my parents business gives discounts to Fire/LEO/EMS for self-defense training.

And Allstate said they give discounts to EMTs...

I don't wear my uniform off duty.
Umm... I used to work at Subway (quit in August) and "toppings" don't cost anything to begin with :lol: Unless it's extra meat or cheese.
That said, I was never supposed to, but I gave 50% off to all LEO, Fire, military, etc.. that came through in uniform. Got wrote up like 4 or 5 times for it, but oh well. I thought it was worth it. They couldn't afford to fire anyone (the 3 months I was there, we had 42 employees quit... with 20 new hires).
The first time, I did it, I asked the asst if we gave military disc. He said no, so I just didn't charge him for the double meat/ chips. Then I just went on to employee discount for all that came through.
Edit: For all the people talking about cell phone discounts, they'll give those to almost anyone. I got 15% off at AT&T when I worked at Subway. My brother married a cust service manager there, though so I get unlimited everything for $10 a month :D

Last edited by a moderator:

socalmedic

Mediocre at best
Can any EMTs confirm the knott's free admission for the EMT and a guest? I have a couple guys telling me its true, but they've only heard it through someone else. Nobody has actually confirmed it. The site says Fire and PD, but would that extend to us EMTs as well?

depends on who you get at the ticket line. a few years back they had a STRICT no EMT policy because everyone and their mother was coming in, everyday. they reduced it to FIRE, LEO, RN to cut back on the traffic. They where more relaxed last year, and I havent been yet this year.

for those in the LA/OC area wo dont know, Knotts berry farm lets us in for free from thanksgiving until Jan30. you can get in one other person for free and buy up to 4 more tickets for $15 each.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
What about restrooms?

I know not exactly with topic, however this thread did spark a memory of a particular debate I had with a coworker the other day.

When said coworker came in for work she was ranting about her previous shift in which she went into a local convenience store to use the restroom and was told there was no private restrooms. She stated she was shocked at this discovery and believed that because she was an EMT she should be granted the priveledge to use their restroom. She had the mentallity that she could be potentially saving their life and they will not even allow her to use the restroom.

How many people agree with her? I personally believe that we should not recieve any special treatment. Just because we are EMS does not mean we should be granted special priveledge. It is simply part of the job and we suck it up; just like it might be that persons job to not allow public access to the restroom.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
The restroom question is interesting... I agree that although we shouldn't automatically expect people to let us into their inner sanctum (the holy porcelain shrine) most businesses are more than willing to let me use their throne if I ask them. I suppose it's one of those unspoken rules that I would only ask the if I was really really in need and that I'm not the "general public". I don't think they should be "required" to let me use the head, but on the same token they should darn well appreciate the fact that if they refuse my request I may be the same guy they call when they are having a heart attack and they certainly don't want that bad karma lingering over our relationship.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
I know not exactly with topic, however this thread did spark a memory of a particular debate I had with a coworker the other day.

When said coworker came in for work she was ranting about her previous shift in which she went into a local convenience store to use the restroom and was told there was no private restrooms. She stated she was shocked at this discovery and believed that because she was an EMT she should be granted the priveledge to use their restroom. She had the mentallity that she could be potentially saving their life and they will not even allow her to use the restroom.

How many people agree with her? I personally believe that we should not recieve any special treatment. Just because we are EMS does not mean we should be granted special priveledge. It is simply part of the job and we suck it up; just like it might be that persons job to not allow public access to the restroom.

I think that's a bad sense of entitlement. EMS isn't 'entitled' to anything beyond a salary. That includes using someone else's bathroom. It's this attitude that hurts the image of EMS professionals in the eyes of the public.

A nurse or doctor could very well save that persons life too, but its unlikely you would see them demanding the use of a private washroom.

JPINFV

Gadfly
A nurse or doctor could very well save that persons life too, but its unlikely you would see them demanding the use of a private washroom.

On one hand, physicians generally don't work out of a vehicle and there's generally plenty of restrooms, staff and public, in hospitals.

On the other hand, a lot of places include customer restrooms that are easily accessible. For example, most grocery stores have a restroom in the back of them. Just make a bee line for it instead of walking in and asking a clerk. While it might not work as well because of the uniform, one of the best places to find a restroom is a hotel lobby. There's almost always one near the lobby, and since random people (guests) are in and out all the time, just walk through the lobby like you're walking to your room.

74restore

Forum Crew Member
i dont mean to throw off the topic here, so please tell me if I do...

But, has anyone ever been given a "discount" when pulled over by a LEO for various violations? I have heard that they give Medics and Fire Fighters a break with tickets, etc more often, but never really experienced it myself.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

But, has anyone ever been given a "discount" when pulled over by a LEO for various violations? I have heard that they give Medics and Fire Fighters a break with tickets, etc more often, but never really experienced it myself.

I got pulled over earlier this year for going four over the speed limit. The trooper came to my window, asked for my license and whatnot and then added, "I pulled you over for your speed tonight but you will not be getting a ticket." He came back, told me to step out of the car and walk back to the cruiser, where he then told me I reeked of alcohol and had bloodshot eyes. I hadn't had a drink that day and told him as much. He then saw my service's parking sticker and said, "yea I guess I wouldn't expect an EMT or whatever to drink and drive." He then gave me back my license and drove away.

I dunnot what to make of it or even if the little sticker helped, but it was an odd encounter.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse

I have EMT plates and have been asked about them almost every time I get pulled over. Its usually "Are you really an EMT? Where do you work?" Ok, Slow down and have a nice day. *Hand shake*

I occasionally see LEO pull behind me for a minute or two, probably run my plates, and then pass me and continue on. I would not expect to get let go from something serious like a DWI but I think I get more leeway on the minor speeding, rolling stop signs, etc. I do not expect any of that though.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief

You are the same as a customer there and should receive no special treatment. If they don't have public bathrooms, you are not entitled to a private one.

Yes. I've never been pulled over for speeding, but both accidents I was in I was let go without a citation. One was me into a guardrail on a wet day, and the trooper called me up to check that I was ok and to let me know the report number and that I would not be cited. The other one was when I first got to St. Louis and didn't know of one of their traffic laws which caused an accident. He said he couldn't let me go without at least citing me for something, so he cited me for not having insurance and told me to show up in court to challenge it and just to bring my insurance card. He didn't even bother to show up to court and after producing my documentation I owed only court fees.

Most of the cops in my area know our cars and know that after the insurance companies changed, we don't have lights and sirens on our POVs for the time being. So it's just on a honor system that we'll be careful and if we do plan on rolling stops through stop signs or red lights, we'll be careful about how we do it and they tend to turn the other cheek.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
We sometimes get discounts, which are appreciated but never asked for. Police get the best discounts here, even free food at McDonalds.

Gas Stations etc are pretty good to us an let us use their bathrooms.