ems discounts on food and stuff

medic417

The Truth Provider

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Now that we are afield

Either or both Kragen and or Chief Auto may have a 10% mil or ex-mil discount.

reaper

Working Bum
Pepboys does EMS discount. I never knew this, till I was in there one day and the girl gave it to me. I asked how she knew I was EMS( I was in street clothes). She said the manager told her to and point to back of store. The manager was the son of a pt I had transported a few days before and remembered me.

I was not goona argue it, but never expected it.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Funny this thread came up, yesterday my partner and I stopped somewhere to get lunch, ordered at the same time at two different registers, he didn't get the discount and I did.

Really does depend on who is taking the order!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Funny this thread came up, yesterday my partner and I stopped somewhere to get lunch, ordered at the same time at two different registers, he didn't get the discount and I did.

Really does depend on who is taking the order!

Just more proof that the beautiful are treated better than the ugly.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Just more proof that the beautiful are treated better than the ugly.

Aww you think I'm pretty? :)

But I don't have a million rumors about who I sleep with at work =[

Sodapop

Forum Crew Member
Years ago the first company I worked for was next to a ice cream place that did burgers and fries and stuff too. They never did a discount for the longest time which was fine no one ever asked either.

One day I was on a MVC and the manager and his wife (both ran the ice cream store together) were involved and he was hurt. The first on scene said both patients could go BLS. When I evaluated him I asked for medic unit and they took him in and he had to go right to surgery for bleeding Spleen.

A few weeks later when I went in and his wife was there she gave me 50% off and from then on every EMS/FD/LEO got 50% off. No one every asked but I guess after having to have our services they decided they wanted to give back somehow. it was a nice gesture but really the two of them walking to the station to say thank you after he was recovered meant more to me than a $ discount.

medic417

The Truth Provider

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Free coffee at the gas stations.

Free entrance to the strip clubs with FF/EMS card, LEO's get half off (which I find hilarious).

mare_liberum

Forum Probie
Which half?

Top half? :p

There's a Dunkin' Donuts around where I live that usually throws in 2 or 3 extra donuts when we come in on the odd occasion. Other than that, the only other place I've ever gotten a discount while working is this little fruit/smoothie stand that does awesome fresh fruit smoothies... so worth the discount every once in a while (especially in summer!)...

Anthony

Forum Ride Along
I work at a auto parts store until i decide which ems system i want to work for. I know most of the guys in the ems system, fire and law enforcement. I always give them some kind of a discount. To me it always seemed the right thing to do.

phildo

Forum Crew Member
Until recently, we got free coffee at Starbucks. Til some genius screwed it up for everyone.

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Personally, if I'm volunteering (which is all I currently do), and I know it's company policy I'll usually ask.

If I'm in a position where I'm being paid for my services, then I wouldn't ask. No need to give me freebies when I'm getting paid :)

FLEMTP

Forum Captain
there is never ever ever a "need" to give anyone 'freebees" whether you are on duty as a volunteer OR paid..

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Wondering if anyone has hospitals do nice things for them during EMS week?

Around here seems like each will put on nice catered lunches for EMS & Fire for a day. A lot of people stop by when they transport, but they don't mind if you stop by while working either. Nice to sit around with a bunch of colleagues from all over and enjoy some delicious free food.

One ER even had a BBQ in their ambulance bay last year.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Wondering if anyone has hospitals do nice things for them during EMS week?

Around here seems like each will put on nice catered lunches for EMS & Fire for a day. A lot of people stop by when they transport, but they don't mind if you stop by while working either. Nice to sit around with a bunch of colleagues from all over and enjoy some delicious free food.

One ER even had a BBQ in their ambulance bay last year.

The hospital system I used to work in would do BBQs for EMS crews at all three of their hospitals. One at night and one during the day.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Mr. Russell at AGRussellknives.com gives 25% off to first responders.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but usstandardissue.com provides Oakley products at around 50% off when you sign up.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The hospital system I used to work in would do BBQs for EMS crews at all three of their hospitals. One at night and one during the day.

Hospitals have to be very careful in this area especially when there are competitive situations.

Recent article:
Illegal Redirection of Ambulances Investigated in Calif.

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/onl...n-of-Ambulances-Investigated-in-Calif/1$12827

Officials say they have no proof that anyone is illegally redirecting ambulances to other hospitals by using enticements such as money, gifts or meals. But they point to data suggesting that something is causing ambulances to choose other hospitals over KMC.

While nothing has been proven yet and the investigation is still ongoing, it could mean hospitals will be more cautious. Back in the 1980s when ambulance services became very competitive, ambulances were taking patients to the hospital "they liked better" because of the perks. It was also known that you took patients with insurance to one hospital and self-pay went to another. For doing so, the hospital that preferred only insurance patients would reward the EMS crews with BBQs and pizza parties. Eventually it led to the counties and the ambulance services enforcing the "nearest facility regardless" policy and took certain decision making out of the hands of the EMS providers.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hospitals have to be very careful in this area especially when there are competitive situations.

Recent article:
Illegal Redirection of Ambulances Investigated in Calif.

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/onl...n-of-Ambulances-Investigated-in-Calif/1$12827

While nothing has been proven yet and the investigation is still ongoing, it could mean hospitals will be more cautious. Back in the 1980s when ambulance services became very competitive, ambulances were taking patients to the hospital "they liked better" because of the perks. It was also known that you took patients with insurance to one hospital and self-pay went to another. For doing so, the hospital that preferred only insurance patients would reward the EMS crews with BBQs and pizza parties. Eventually it led to the counties and the ambulance services enforcing the "nearest facility regardless" policy and took certain decision making out of the hands of the EMS providers.

All the hospitals in ABQ tended to do this. We had two private services (only one did 911 in Bernalillo county, the other was IFT there and 911 in three other counties, only one in the BC funnel system), which one of them was owned by another hospital system in ABQ.

The level 1 trauma center there also does food for EMS crews. Since they all do it I can't see the harm.