Premium Member
OP
OP
E

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant

18G

Paramedic
Prolonged QT has always been a part of the cautions for Zofran although reported at an extremely low incidence.

Perhaps now that the drug is administered so widely and as a first line antiemetic with the generic, the cardiac issue is being reported more with increased use of the drug?

One of the great things with Zofran has always been its safety profile and virtually no side effects. The caution is definitely worth noting at least.

8jimi8

CFRN
Prolonged QT has always been a part of the cautions for Zofran although reported at an extremely low incidence.

Perhaps now that the drug is administered so widely and as a first line antiemetic with the generic, the cardiac issue is being reported more with increased use of the drug?

One of the great things with Zofran has always been its safety profile and virtually no side effects. The caution is definitely worth noting at least.

Typically we use it 2nd line behind phenergan. But the frequency is also noted to be 4mg q6

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I think from most people I know, they tend to use Phenergan as well.

18G

Paramedic
Phenergan as first line? Guess it depends on area your in. Phenergan has been removed from EMS services and replaced with Zofran. Even in hospital its mainly Zofran given its good safety profile and effectiveness.

Phenergan has potential to cause some major issues and has resulted in serious injury to patients when not diluted properly and when extravasation occurs. Quite a few high profile cases resulted from Phenergan use with some people losing fingers.

8jimi8

CFRN
Phenergan as first line? Guess it depends on area your in. Phenergan has been removed from EMS services and replaced with Zofran. Even in hospital its mainly Zofran given its good safety profile and effectiveness.

Phenergan has potential to cause some major issues and has resulted in serious injury to patients when not diluted properly and when extravasation occurs. Quite a few high profile cases resulted from Phenergan use with some people losing fingers.

I think phenergan reactions are just as rare. Knowing your medication profile can guide Your clinical judgement. The order specifically reads 4mg ondansetron IV q4• for n/v refractory to phenergan

18G

Paramedic
I dont doubt ya. Around here though Phenergan isnt usually the first antiemetic of choice. In PA we only have Zofran which replaced Phenergan when it was pulled for safety concerns. And in WV we have Zofran and Compazine.

8jimi8

CFRN
q6 rather

jwk

Forum Captain
I think from most people I know, they tend to use Phenergan as well.

Phenergan should be banned. The risks of it's use FAR outweigh the benefits. The risks of Zofran, FDA warning aside, are incredibly minuscule, particularly compared to phenergan. I use (and will continue to use) Zofran on virtually every general anesthetic patient I do every day.

jwk

Forum Captain
I think phenergan reactions are just as rare. Knowing your medication profile can guide Your clinical judgement. The order specifically reads 4mg ondansetron IV q4• for n/v refractory to phenergan
Uh, you're incorrect. Bad problems from phenergan are quite common and well documented.

18G

Paramedic
Uh, you're incorrect. Bad problems from phenergan are quite common and well documented.

Agree on the Phenergan = bad. I've read A LOT of case reports of bad things happening to patients who received Phenergan.

I believe there was (or is still) a push by an advocacy group to have hospitals not administer Phenergan or reserve its use to very select cases and have a specific policy in place for dilution and administration.

Last edited by a moderator:

8jimi8

CFRN

In my experience, i have witnessed ZERO adverse phenergan reactions.

Same with zofran. Are these negative reactions centered around exstravasation? Proper assessment of invasive lines can guide your judgement here. I've given phenergan as a first line anti-emetic for over 4 years. That's pretty rare in my opinion

8jimi8

CFRN

In my experience, i have witnessed ZERO adverse phenergan reactions.

Same with zofran. Are these negative reactions centered around exstravasation? Proper assessment of invasive lines can guide your judgement here. I've given phenergan as a first line anti-emetic for over 4 years. That's pretty rare in my opinion.

Have You ever seen a reaction?