Zofran

nhvtmedic

Forum Ride Along
actually prolonged QT is one of the most commonly listed side effects of Zofran. I personally have never seen it but have heard about it plenty

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not particularly surprised. All medicines have possible side affects, they just seemed to have discovered a possibly fatal one for Zofran.

daj72

Forum Probie
In Denmark the arrhythmia is a know, but is categorized as a "rare" side effect(0,1-1%).

"Use of ondansetron with drugs that prolong the QT interval may result in additional QT prolongation. Concomitant use of ondansetron with cardio-toxic drugs (eg anthracyclines) may increase the risk of arrhythmias." from a danish meds. health site.

Personally I have never seen it, when I´m giving Zofran.

Last edited by a moderator:

nhvtmedic

Forum Ride Along
I don't think Zofran is any less safe then it has always been. The number of side effects i've seen from Zofran is minimal. I would still say Zofran over Reglan safety-wise but both are effective medications.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why all of a sudden a big FDA warning?

Because they put them out all the damn time for stuff. Take a breath and stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. You seem to have a habit of doing that, most likely due to a lack of experience.

Anjel

Forum Angel

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Why all of a sudden a big FDA warning?

Well, the link doesn't specify why. My best guess would be that there's be a large enough number of cases of QT prolongation with Zofran that the FDA decided it would be wise to place a more detailed warning on the packaging, and send out the warning.

There was a similar issue, if I recall, with droperidol, a few years back.

It will be interesting to see if this changes anyone's practice, whether people start measuring the QTc before giving Zofran.

OP
OP
E

EMS Patient Care Advocate

Forum Lieutenant
Well, the link doesn't specify why. My best guess would be that there's be a large enough number of cases of QT prolongation with Zofran that the FDA decided it would be wise to place a more detailed warning on the packaging, and send out the warning.

There was a similar issue, if I recall, with droperidol, a few years back.

It will be interesting to see if this changes anyone's practice, whether people start measuring the QTc before giving Zofran.

You hit on the reason I tossed this out to everyone. Is this warning enough of a concern that you would withold zofran with long QT patients? Or if more caution may be used with patients on other high risk medications that cause a prolonged QT?

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
You hit on the reason I tossed this out to everyone. Is this warning enough of a concern that you would withold zofran with long QT patients?

Absolutely. Based on the information provided, I'd withhold it on anyone with a long QT. I would do the same with droperidol. There are other antiemetics that don't prolong the QT.

The question is whether people will modify their practice to begin performing ECGs prior to giving Zofran, and whether medical direction will require this. Because otherwise you're not going to identify a lot of people with prolonged QT intervals.

Or if more caution may be used with patients on other high risk medications that cause a prolonged QT?

I think I would be cautious in this situation as well. However, given the very long list of additional medications that can extend the QT interval, the question is going to be whether the average paramedic is going to be aware of the risk for medication interaction. It's not like people are going to have this list memorised.

It also depends how you define the word "cautious". Is "cautious" giving the medication, and then checking the QTc at 5 minutes? 20 minutes? Or is it just keeping in the back of your mind that ECG changes may occur? Does it mean mandating ECG-monitoring post-Zofran?

I'm honestly not sure what I would do. I'm not currently working EMS. I think if I was, I'd send an email to my medical director.

OP
OP
E

Forum Lieutenant
Because they put them out all the damn time for stuff. Take a breath and stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. You seem to have a habit of doing that, most likely due to a lack of experience.

Stopping to take a breath is always great advice. I do lack experience. I have been a paramedic for only 2 years on Sept 11th (oddly enough). So where YOU may see this "stuff" all the time, I have been watching and caring for only about 2 years.

I'm certain they do come "out with this stuff all the damn time" though. Medicine is ever evolving. I am a sole paramedic in the middle of nowhere, and my partner is commonly only a driver with no medical training. I don’t get to work with other paramedics. So it was exciting to find a place to bounce thoughts and ideas- here. I was also thinking this would be a positive learning environment. So if a question bothers you or seems silly, I'm sorry, I don’t mean to complicate anything or make it more than it has to be, but I do like to be thorough.

I always want opinions or I would have no way of learning from my mistakes, or know when I made the right decisions in the first place.

It IS too bad that I have spent conversation about my lack of experience and written a long post that is of no medical benifit to anyone.

OP
OP
E

Forum Lieutenant
The question is whether people will modify their practice to begin performing ECGs prior to giving Zofran, and whether medical direction will require this. Because otherwise you're not going to identify a lot of people with prolonged QT intervals.

Well, I know I am performing EKGs on MOST (not all) patients these days anyways. For this area 12 leads and Zofran are standing orders. Shooting a few 12s lead I don’t think would be a bad idea. Not everyone is in the same situation but I know sometimes my 911 transports are 30 min and Zofran may be the only medication I’m administering. I doubt it will be required-well at least not until the FDA says so, but I usually do a lot more than what is required for my patients. Plus it gives me an excuse to collect and read more 12 leads.

I think by caution I mean take into consideration, weigh risk vs gain. If this means I need to keep a card with 50 long QT medications on it, I will (and prolly should anyways)- Im really only concerned about HIGHer risk medications, the less chances of adding a long QT medication onto another the better I would think.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
A complete list would be a lot more than 50 medications, as you can see here: http://www.qtdrugs.org/

I agree that taking an approach to identifying "high risk" medications would be better.

I also think you could measure a QTc reasonably with just using the limb leads, without having to do a 12-lead. But if you're doing one already, then you have the information there.

8jimi8

CFRN
I asked our ICU pharmacist about the risk quite a while back because my girlfriend takes zofran quite regularly. Unless you are administering more than 40mg at a time, she said there is not much of a risk.

Ondansetron is a standard comfort order along with phenergan that comes on EVERY ICU pt order set.

Would I hesitate with someone with a qtc of > .49? Depends on how much they are vomiting and why?

Funny... We gave it for the nausea on a STEMI pt with a balloon pump awaiting cabg. No torsades there... Although he did have a vf/vt/Brady arrest once we pulled that balloon!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Seems like droperidol all over again. Perhaps the FDA should focus on educating the public that medications are chemicals that alter normal physiology and occasionally untoward side effects happen because of that rather than the constant stream of "oh my God's" everytime a couple of adverse events occur.

That of course would force people to take some responsibility and an active role in their own health, so it ain't gonna happen.