Young EMT, female.

Hill

Forum Crew Member
So, I decided I would like to go to school to be EMT. I'm a girl, 18, 5'6 and I feel like I'm pretty smart and able bodied. Some people has been saying that girls shouldnt do this job because of danger on the field, sexual harassment at work and I'm young it'll steal my happiness. Can someone elaborate on the danger and sexual harassment part please? Or anything else you feel I should know. One more thing, i want to be stationed at the firehouse...any qualifications I need for that?

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
So, I decided I would like to go to school to be EMT. I'm a girl, 18, 5'6 and I feel like I'm pretty smart and able bodied. Some people has been saying that girls shouldnt do this job because of danger on the field, sexual harassment at work and I'm young it'll steal my happiness. Can someone elaborate on the danger and sexual harassment part please? Or anything else you feel I should know. One more thing, i want to be stationed at the firehouse...any qualifications I need for that?
To start we need to know where you are, as different parts of the country do things differently with where EMS is. I've worked with many females over the years, some could do the job and a few couldn't. It mostly boils down to you need to be physically fit enough to lift and move the patients from where they are at to the stretcher. We have some females on the board here who would probably be best to explain the sexual harassment part the best. As I've always done it as treated everyone the same and always did my best to never make my female partners uncomfortable. Although I did have one partner who she decided to try and make me uncomfortable, but we ultimately got along great and attended paramedic school at the same time. I wouldn't say this job is any more dangerous then most jobs out there as far as interacting with people goes. The driving and lifting is where most injuries occur.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
You'll be fine. I don't know anybody that says that women shouldn't do this job. I believe in some parts of the world, EMS is considered a women's job (similar to how people view nursing).

I do believe this job is slightly more dangerous than something like an office job, but not by much. We do a lot of things to minimize the dangers of this job.

Unfortunately, since you are female, you will probably risk experiencing sexual harassment with just about anything you do. You could be sexually harassed doing an office job. You could be sexually harassed taking public transportation. You could be sexually harassed trying to buy stuff at the grocery store.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I do believe this job is slightly more dangerous than something like an office job, but not by much. We do a lot of things to minimize the dangers of this job.

Ehh... Odds are good of being exposed to all sorts of nasty diseases (TB, hepatitis, HIV, etc). We had an ebola scare when that was going on. There is always the possibility of needing to respond to a terrorist attack, active shooter event, etc. Statistically these are rare and unlikely things, but it's always in the back of my mind. Look at all the guys who went to the WTC and now have cancer - you just don't know what you're walking into 90% of the time.

Of course MVA's are the biggest cause of line-of-duty deaths, which is why I drive like a grandma.

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
To start we need to know where you are, as different parts of the country do things differently with where EMS is. I've worked with many females over the years, some could do the job and a few couldn't. It mostly boils down to you need to be physically fit enough to lift and move the patients from where they are at to the stretcher. We have some females on the board here who would probably be best to explain the sexual harassment part the best. As I've always done it as treated everyone the same and always did my best to never make my female partners uncomfortable. Although I did have one partner who she decided to try and make me uncomfortable, but we ultimately got along great and attended paramedic school at the same time. I wouldn't say this job is any more dangerous then most jobs out there as far as interacting with people goes. The driving and lifting is where most injuries occur.
I'm in Atlanta, I still have another year of high school, so I'll definitely be working on the physical part. Thanks!

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
You'll be fine. I don't know anybody that says that women shouldn't do this job. I believe in some parts of the world, EMS is considered a women's job (similar to how people view nursing).

Unfortunately, since you are female, you will probably risk experiencing sexual harassment with just about anything you do. You could be sexually harassed doing an office job. You could be sexually harassed taking public transportation. You could be sexually harassed trying to buy stuff at the grocery store.
That is true, but I particularly have tough skin when it come to dealing with guys. It use to be smiling and saying "I'm sixteen" and watching the terror on their face. But obviously I can't use that excuse anymore. I'm still good I can handle a few lame brains

OP
OP
H

Hill

Forum Crew Member
Ehh... Odds are good of being exposed to all sorts of nasty diseases (TB, hepatitis, HIV, etc). We had an ebola scare when that was going on. There is always the possibility of needing to respond to a terrorist attack, active shooter event, etc. Statistically these are rare and unlikely things, but it's always in the back of my mind. Look at all the guys who went to the WTC and now have cancer - you just don't know what you're walking into 90% of the time.

Of course MVA's are the biggest cause of line-of-duty deaths, which is why I drive like a grandma.
Thanks, I'll definitely keep the driving in mind!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm in Atlanta, I still have another year of high school, so I'll definitely be working on the physical part. Thanks!
Grady would be a good place to work it Atlanta. It's very busy and does some 911.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
A young, attractive female with deal with sexual harassment and chauvinism no matter what line of work they choose. Some places worse than others. It isn't fair at all, but it's life. Might as well get used to it.

Physically, as long as you are healthy and reasonably fit, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Summit

Critical Crazy
If you are mature, have thick skin, and want to deal with what the job brings, then do it. I'd say that to man or woman.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
Well I will give my female perspective on this...

Let me first start by saying that you don't have to lead with "I am a girl." This job is not for just men or just women, it is for able bodied individuals who have a passion for helping and are committed to providing the best care to their ability. The fact that you are a woman has nothing to do with it(or at least it shouldn't).

My non EMS job is Management. I have been the only female manager in my marketing company for 3 years. When I first started I could feel some flack for me being a young female in a management role but I let my skills and knowledge speak for themselves. I treat every fellow manager and employee equally and I expect that I am treated with the same respect.

If you have chosen this field as your career path then by all means go for it. Best of luck to you!

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
I honestly get sexually harassed more while shopping at the grocery store then I do at work.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I sexually harass my male partners.way morw than female

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I know plenty of female medics out here and I don't think I've heard anything negative about them. I think I've heard one or two stories of a douche partner for the day having some remark, but otherwise just carry your weight and actually care about what you are doing and the only people who will say anything are the *******s that you cant please.