Yet another example of why Facebook is a dangerous place...

jameswf

Forum Probie
I keep my facebook generally private and restrict most of my posts to friends and family. I am in school and I have exactly 0 of my classmates on my facebook. I only add people I think add something to my life. Some family members are not on my facebook. It is likely I will not have any future coworkers on facebook especially if I suspect they are whiney morons who would make a post in to an HR issue.

Forum Crew Member
I honestly feel bad for the guy...resigned with his record tainted by this forever...I don't know what he said but to me it sounds a little severe of a punishment...especially if no names, pictures or other hippa stuff was used. We are all human and we all sometimes let our emotions get the best of us. I personally am taking this as a reinforcing lesson on how our actions and comments effect everyone around us and to be especially cautious when dealing with the Internet or other public places.

Milla3P

Forum Lieutenant
The saying "You may have friends in social media, but social media is no friend of yours" has always stuck with me when I think about saying anything work related publicly.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
You know the FFs comment was in poor taste but I dont think it warrants losing a job.

Give him an unpaid vacation (2 weeks or so) and leave the ones that commented/liked it alone.

Red7403

Forum Ride Along
Facebook = Unnecessary Liability

I'm currently working as an MA for a hospital's medical group. I work in Peds, and I'm constantly delighted by the just amazing things that the kids say. I think they are some of the most entertaining conversations I've ever had.

HOWEVER

I made the mistake of stating on Facebook that I had purchased some cookies from a patient so he could go to camp, and how I was a sucker for his lisp. Several rounds of "OMG HOW CUTE!" and "Likes" later, I thought everything was hunky dory.

A week later I was sitting before my boss and HR reps who wanted my *** to be charred and served on a platter before their very eyes. Despite the fact that I had a goofy made-up Facebook name, and a private page- someone, somehow decided it was time to eff with the Medical Assistant and did me the favor of screen capturing my page and typing up a formal letter of complaint.

You see, to my superiors, obviously there are a very limited amount of boyscouts selling cookies in our area, and anyone could have identified the patient putting them at risk!

It was my first (and hopefully last) write-up ever at any job, and I've been working full time since I was 15.

LSS? Facebook is great for inviting people to parties and checking out pictures- but most people are willing to use any other of the million channels available to them if they want to get in touch. I say forget it.

Porta

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have a Facebook anymore. One of the most agonizing things about "deleting" it was that its still technically there - just deactivated. I deleted a lot of pictures off of it, and a lot of statuses, but I couldn't get everything off of it. I'm fortunate to have had a fake name, and I never posted about work. It was/is my experience it causes more harm and drama than anything. If my friends want to talk they have my phone number, address, and email.