Yaaay, another medstar question thread...

amstod

Forum Ride Along
Good afternoon,

I've been a forum browser for quite a while now. I've been in EMT-B classes for the past few months and have been using these forums to broaden my awareness of EMS in TX and what to expect from the work force.

I've recently applied with Medstar for the Logistics Tech position as it opened today. I was informed by an HR representative that Logistic Techs are hired and brought on as EMT's for the Ambulances as positions become available.

Is there anyone who might be able to give me some insight into the validity of these statements made by the HR Rep? What can I expect if I took this position with future goals of attending a paramedic program and becoming a paramedic for Medstar?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any insight anyone might be able to give me into the Company.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If it is like what other companies. You work as a logistics tech until the state processes your EMT. Then you move onto a bls car. Just a guess.

jrarnold243

Forum Probie
Medstar

What I have heard from my time riding with Medstar is they only hire crews from within or a personal reference from a current employee. Don't know how true this is, but I heard it from four different Medstar employees.

OP
OP
A

amstod

Forum Ride Along
Alright, well thanks for the imput. :) Sounds like this is the route to go if I want an in with just my basic in hand.

ANDREWG

Forum Ride Along
When I worked there I was fresh out of EMT school and didn't know anyone there. Also when I worked there if you are hired as a logistic tech or any position , you had to work for a year before switching positions. Hope that helps.

Snakedoc

Forum Ride Along
Medstar or Deathstar???

The supply position or logistics tech as they are calling it is simply that. If you are hired in for that dept good luck getting on a box. Technically you have to wait one year after starting before transferring to another department, however, after working there for several years, and watching several "logistics techs" attempt to get on the box, I know of only one that did it and it took that person three years. But if you get on a box there, it will be good experience for ya and you will get your rear handed to you in call volume.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I started this trip six years ago in Materials, did eight months as a VST, then a few as an Intermediate, then a year as a 68W, now a Paramedic for the last four years.