Wow, just wow.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
If the camera in the back was mounted on the top of the front wall of the box; all it would show would be the back of the patients head; unless the pt was flat on a LBB; and it could be adjusted so that it only showed starting from about 18" from the top of the cot.
That way it wouldn't show the pt's face.

Then there shouldn't be much of a HIPAA problem.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Are you forgetting HIPPA?

Are you forgetting how HIPPA really works?

I can record people with video cameras all day long and never violate HIPPA.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes we can record people all day; but if that recording ends up in an open court, or on you tube it can cause problems; but if it just shows the person from the neck down; less problems

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Yes we can record people all day; but if that recording ends up in an open court, or on you tube it can cause problems; but if it just shows the person from the neck down; less problems

There are health care environments that use video recording. There is no violation unless you violate it. Yes, the video would be protected, but it would need the same privacy as a PPCR. So don't put it on YouTube. It would certainly show up in court if subpoenaed, just like anything else. A smart judge would view it in private before letting it be viewed in public.

I was being half flippant about my post quoted above, but I would be happy to have a camera in the back if it would shut down allegations like this.

A medic I know had an allegation of this sort and it could have been a career ender, regardless of the facts. If the patient's story was good enough it could have gone all the way.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Not to mention the fact that HIPPA violation fees are cheaper than lawyer fees and potential settlements in court.

Lesser of 2 evils. :D

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Not to mention the fact that HIPPA violation fees are cheaper than lawyer fees and potential settlements in court.

Lesser of 2 evils. :D
:rofl:True