Would they deny me reciprocity?

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
I got my basic license in MA about 3 weeks ago, and I currently attend college in NY. Immediately after getting my basic license I filed for NYS reciprocity so I can be an EMT-B at the VFD I am a member of near my school. I am wondering if NYS could possibly deny me reciprocity because I got my basic license such a short time ago? I read all the literature NYS had put out about requirements for reciprocity but the length of time which you have been certified in another state was never mentioned as a prerequisite or condition. Anybody have any thoughts or previous experience with the system?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
length of time your an emt has nothing to do with it.

zmedic

Forum Captain
You just need to be clear on what NYS recognizes. When I did it a few years ago they didn't recognize national, but they recognized state certs. At the time I had gotten my EMT through NH but they didn't have their own cert. So I had to get NH liscensed to get NYS reciprocity. Sigh. Also keep an eye on recertification issues. For NYS you have to take an NYS refresher (or I think CT), so you may have to either take two refreshers or see if MA will accept an NYS refresher etc. I know it's a ways away but worth thinking about ahead of time, because if you don't suddenly you have this nightmare like 3 months before your cert lapses.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know many people who have transfered their certification from MA to NY, and not had any problem. Make sure you have submitted the paperwork properly, have the authorization form filled out by MA OEMS (that may be the problem, because they are so behind!), and submitted verification you go to school in NYS.
Towards the end of the year, all EMSAs get bogged down with recerts, so often slow down or stop doing other things...

Good Luck!

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I know several people who have gone MA to NY and have had little problem. IIRC you won't even have to take the test in NY, just mail in the paper work and fee and they'll mail you your card.

I just completed the process in the other direction. From all accounts, it is much easier to go MA to NY than NY to MA. You should be fine. Just follow up with the various agencies processing your application.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
From all accounts, it is much easier to go MA to NY than NY to MA. You should be fine. Just follow up with the various agencies processing your application.

Exactly. MA is just a pain to transfer certifications into. You are really better off going out then coming in.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Just be glad you don't have to go to a state that's not NR. When I almost had to move back to Utah they were going to make me retest. I still might have to.....

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Just be glad you don't have to go to a state that's not NR. When I almost had to move back to Utah they were going to make me retest. I still might have to.....

Utah is very backwards when it comes to the OEMS. I went to Medic school in Utah but was going to be working in Wyoming. I felt so sorry for my fellow students who had to pass the National Registry Exam and then dumb it down to pass the State exam.

WarDance

Forum Lieutenant
Utah is very backwards when it comes to the OEMS. I went to Medic school in Utah but was going to be working in Wyoming. I felt so sorry for my fellow students who had to pass the National Registry Exam and then dumb it down to pass the State exam.

I don't know why they won't just go ahead and give me a UT license.....I'm sure their protocols aren't that different from Colorado.

OP
OP
Manic_Wombat

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Just an update, I got my basic card from NYS in the mail today. It only took about 3 weeks in total to complete the process.