Worth only being a PT medic? (in MA)

alarmsactivated

Forum Ride Along
Hi all -

I searched the forums and didn't see anything on this, so forgive me if I'm doubling up.

I've been an EMT-B for a little over a year and have my national registry. I have a full-time, non-EMS job that I'm successful at and plan on keeping. But, I like the EMS field and appreciate the opportunity to care for folks when they may be at their worst (as for those just looking for a cab ride, well, that's for another post...).

I'm really interested in going to medic school. I consider myself a lifelong learner, would like to further my knowledge and opportunity to provide care, and think that I could be a good paramedic. All that said, as of now, I would only plan on working PT. I don't plan on leaving my current career and becoming a full-time paramedic. That could change down the line, but I'd be going into medic school with the idea of doing it PT nights and weekends.

So, my question is, do you think it's worth it? I can make the classes work both financially and time-wise, so I'm not too worried about that. But, do you think it is worth the overall investment if it's something I only intend to do on a PT basis? I figure if I'm going to continue BLS part-time, and I have the desire to take it a step further, I should. But, I'm curious about feedback that anyone here might provide.

(For what it's worth, I'm in the process of moving to MA, so would be doing the courses and looking to work there).

Thanks all

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi all -

I searched the forums and didn't see anything on this, so forgive me if I'm doubling up.

I've been an EMT-B for a little over a year and have my national registry. I have a full-time, non-EMS job that I'm successful at and plan on keeping. But, I like the EMS field and appreciate the opportunity to care for folks when they may be at their worst (as for those just looking for a cab ride, well, that's for another post...).

I'm really interested in going to medic school. I consider myself a lifelong learner, would like to further my knowledge and opportunity to provide care, and think that I could be a good paramedic. All that said, as of now, I would only plan on working PT. I don't plan on leaving my current career and becoming a full-time paramedic. That could change down the line, but I'd be going into medic school with the idea of doing it PT nights and weekends.

So, my question is, do you think it's worth it? I can make the classes work both financially and time-wise, so I'm not too worried about that. But, do you think it is worth the overall investment if it's something I only intend to do on a PT basis? I figure if I'm going to continue BLS part-time, and I have the desire to take it a step further, I should. But, I'm curious about feedback that anyone here might provide.

(For what it's worth, I'm in the process of moving to MA, so would be doing the courses and looking to work there).

Thanks all

It is certainly worth it for the medical education.

I work full time, non-EMS. I also work part time EMS as a paramedic, volunteer as a paramedic, and teach EMS (mostly EMT's).

If you'd like to do it and have the drive to do it, there is nothing stopping you.

My one suggestion? Spend the first year or two after paramedic school part-timing nearly full time. It'll help you establish yourself and get your feet on solid ground. The operations side of the house can get out of hand fast if you're not running a lot, especially in busy areas. Immersing yourself will get you acclimated so that when you do have time off between work, you're not coming back surprised by change or something new (w.r.t. ops not education).

OP
OP
A

alarmsactivated

Forum Ride Along
It is certainly worth it for the medical education.

I work full time, non-EMS. I also work part time EMS as a paramedic, volunteer as a paramedic, and teach EMS (mostly EMT's).

If you'd like to do it and have the drive to do it, there is nothing stopping you.

My one suggestion? Spend the first year or two after paramedic school part-timing nearly full time. It'll help you establish yourself and get your feet on solid ground. The operations side of the house can get out of hand fast if you're not running a lot, especially in busy areas. Immersing yourself will get you acclimated so that when you do have time off between work, you're not coming back surprised by change or something new (w.r.t. ops not education).

Sounds like good points. Thanks, Christopher. Question - how many hours do you average?

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Disclaimer: Do not use this Christopher to simulate time management strategies in normal humans.