worse thing ive had in ems

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
how do i deal with working a code on my mom?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Did this happen to you? If so, you need to seek help from a therapist. Ask someone from your service for information on local therapists, and if they do not know call your family/primary doctor.

If not, it is never a scenario that anyone likes to think about.

OP
OP
H

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
yes this happened yesterday morning. me and my wife( an EMT-I) both did CPR on my mom for approximintly 20 minutes until the squad arrived on scene

kd7emt

Forum Crew Member
I'm so sorry about your mother. I hope she's recovering.

It's hard to deal with family because of the emotional attachment you naturally have. I'd echo Daedalus and urge you to seek out some form of counseling. Needn't be some in-depth, long-term relationship with Sigmund Freud, sometimes just talking the situation out with someone helps.

On the plus side, you were there when there was a crisis and you and your wife were able to help. That is a good thing, even if it was almost certainly a scary one.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm very sorry to hear that. I hope everything turned out.

Get in touch with a therapist or chaplain or both, depending on your preferences. They'll be better able to help you than an internet forum.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I agree with everyone else. You and your wife should both speak with a counselor, either separately or together. Your department may be able to recommend one or even set one up for you.

firetender

By all means don't carry this alone, and don't wait until you have the perfect counselor, either. Anyone you trust. Just start talking. There are many aspects to those few minutes. Most important; you were there and you did what you could. In the long term, I think that will be meaningful to you.

Blessings to you and yours

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Man that is terrible! Thoughts and prayers are with you.

I can only reccomend what others have said. Talk with a pastor or chaplin that you trust, see if your agency has a CISM team or resources available. But do talk. Don't keep it all inside you.

Again our thoughts and prayers are with you.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
yes this happened yesterday morning. me and my wife( an EMT-I) both did CPR on my mom for approximintly 20 minutes until the squad arrived on scene

Please let us know what happened. And please consider two things. First, your mom was very lucky to have you and your wife right there when she needed CPR. Early CPR is very important for survival. And second, one of my mentors' mantras is "I did not cause this, I'm here to help." You were there to do all that you could for her, and gave her the best chance by far of surviving. That is a good thing.

If one of my kids codes for some reason, I want to be right there with my gear and my cell phone with the local dispatch numbers.

We all hope that your mom survived, and her prognosis is good. Best wishes.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Wow, that is so horrible, I'm sorry you had to experience that. I'm going to agree with the others and say, please get counseling, it will really help you get through this.

OP
OP
H

hitechredneckemt

Forum Crew Member
thanks all of your thoughts and best wishes. my mom passed on we had services monday. my wife and i are both talking with a cisd person that has helped with other bad calls in the past. again a big thanks to eveyone.

colafdp

Forum Lieutenant
I'm sorry to hear that. My best wishes go out to you, your wife, and family during this trying time.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm really sorry to hear that. I wish you and your wife all the best and the strength to get through this.

firetender

Thank you very much for sharing this with us, and I think you'll find you can bring it up here -- whatever aspect of the aftermath you're experiencing -- and find support. That can be part of everyone's healing.