Worried about my Paramedic Internship

Ripleydiva

Forum Probie
:(I have just started my Paramedic Internship and I feel so overwhelmed, when I get out the ambulance with my preceptor, I feel like I don't where to start when I approach a live patient. I have done so many scenarios in class and never felt overwhelmed, I felt in control and I knew what to do. I don't feel like this on real calls... has anyone ever felt like this any advice would really help right now. I am wondering if I really have what it takes to be a paramedic.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Did you have any EMS experience before paramedic school?

What specifically is the issue? Do you not know how to start an evaluation? Need an ice breaker?

I start almost every call the same way. I walk in and day, "Hi, I'm DE, one of the county paramedics, what's going on?" That first interaction will tell you a lot. If they can breathe, if they're tracking you, if they're relaxed or in acute distress.

If it's an immediate life threat, fix that. If it's not, take your time, take a deep breath and start asking questions so you can figure out what's going on.

And remember, if you need a few seconds to reset and think, listen to lung sounds. :) It's a great way to stop for a quick time out and get your head together.

A big part of paramedic candidate success comes from presence. You've gotta walk in to the house like you own it. Patients expect you to solve their problems. You need to project the calm, confident "I got this" paramedic vibe.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Ripleydiva

Ripleydiva

Forum Probie
I had no EMS experience before Paramedic school. Thanks, I did need an ice breaker when walking up to live patients, I will take your suggestion. I am working on my confidence, and getting over my fears not getting my assessment right.

OP
OP
Ripleydiva

Ripleydiva

Forum Probie
I had no EMS experience before Paramedic school. Thanks, I did need an ice breaker when walking up to live patients, I will take your suggestion. I am working on my confidence, and getting over my fears not getting my assessment right.
Did you have any EMS experience before paramedic school?

What specifically is the issue? Do you not know how to start an evaluation? Need an ice breaker?

I start almost every call the same way. I walk in and day, "Hi, I'm DE, one of the county paramedics, what's going on?" That first interaction will tell you a lot. If they can breathe, if they're tracking you, if they're relaxed or in acute distress.

If it's an immediate life threat, fix that. If it's not, take your time, take a deep breath and start asking questions so you can figure out what's going on.

And remember, if you need a few seconds to reset and think, listen to lung sounds. :) It's a great way to stop for a quick time out and get your head together.

A big part of paramedic candidate success comes from presence. You've gotta walk in to the house like you own it. Patients expect you to solve their problems. You need to project the calm, confident "I got this" paramedic vibe.

Good luck.
I would love some suggestions on how to start an evaluation.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Like what DE said. Hi I'm blah, what is going on? That way you get the pt to tell you what is going on. From there ask about that issue and once you have that covered start your "head to toe" to see if anything else is going on.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Remember, THEY called YOU. Let them tell you whats going on. Give them 30-60 seconds to talk freely, it gives them a chance to tell you whats going on and it gives you a chance to get an initial impression, and figure out what the problem is. After 30-60 seconds you can jump in an get to the point with your HPI questions. After you get your HPI you should have a good idea of what the problem (1 or 3 diffrerential DXs) is and what to look for on physical exam. After physical exam you should have chosen a DX and know what the treatment is. At this point you can say "well granny it looks to me as if you've fallen down again, I don't think you broke your hip this time but lets get you to the ED so they can take some pics. I am going to start an IV to get you hydrated on the way and once we get you in the back of my van I'm going to take a look at your heart with the EKG. Good? Good, lets roll" or something like that.