Work for EMTs and Medics in San Diego?

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie
Anyone know the scene down in San Diego? Anyone here work for SDMSE? Work for AMR? Is your company hiring? I am trying to figure out what my options are outside of Los Angeles.

Who provides ALS? FD on the rig or a Paramedic unit? Who is first in? Do you ride EMT/Medic on a rig? Whats the work climate like in San Diego?

Thanks in advance. Tryng to learn. Open ears and eyes!

atropine

Forum Captain
Go to Bakersfield, Hall ambulance is hiring I think, far as SD AMR might be hiring emt's and you will start off bls.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
The climate in San Diego is: conservative. "mother may I" comes to mind

SMDSE is a partnership between SDFD and Rural metro. They run emt/medic with a few dual medic rigs. They are based out of Fire stations and respond with SDFD engines/trucks.

AMR has the 911 contract for Chula Vista, National City, and some other south east areas, where they respond with those respective fire departments. They are dual medic only.

Most other cities in and around San Diego County have their own fire departments, with their own ALS rigs responding either emt/medic or dual medic, but almost always FF.

Jobs are slim pickings, almost always resulting in luck of the draw. Any fire department job will require you to either know someone important, work on their volley/reserve, or be a paramedic (even then its damn near impossible)

Good luck! There is much more info on this site regarding SD.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
San Diego is ancient Spanish for a whale's vagina. Its actual translation has been lost and may never be known.

Anto

Forum Probie
Rural Metro/SDMSE runs BLS and ALS rigs.
BLS = 2 EMT B's, posted near hospitals and SNF's as needed.
ALS = 1 Medic, 1 Bridged EMT, mainly at a fire station, there are a few float units.
MR = 1 FF/Medic, 1 Bridged EMT, not sure on these ones.
There are a few dual medic rigs, I believe in CSA (Solana Beach) & Rancho Santa Fe.

ALS is usually both the rig medic and the FF medic in the back of the rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie
Rural Metro/SDMSE runs BLS and ALS rigs.
BLS = 2 EMT B's, posted near hospitals and SNF's as needed.
ALS = 1 Medic, 1 Bridged EMT, mainly at a fire station, there are a few float units.
MR = 1 FF/Medic, 1 Bridged EMT, not sure on these ones.
There are a few dual medic rigs, I believe in CSA (Solana Beach) & Rancho Santa Fe.

ALS is usually both the rig medic and the FF medic in the back of the rig.

Do you work for them? Do you happen to know how often they hire? Are those coveted positions? I'd imagine the EMT-B gets good experience from running with a medic. Also, excuse my ignorance but what is a "Bridged EMT"? Do the BLS rigs only do IFTs or do they respond to 911 runs too? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Anto

Forum Probie
Yep.
They hire as needed, usually every few months. They just finished a EMT hire with ~10 people. From what I've heard (and I'm not knocking any other companies) everyone that comes to RM from another socal company says they like it much better, and even take a $1-2 pay cut to switch.

BLS rigs run IFT, CCT and Level 4 non emergency 911 calls, like a headache or leg pain, etc. No lights and sirens.
A bridged EMT spot is pretty cool; after you hone your EMT skills, you can test to be a bridged EMT (knowing all your EMT skills) and you run 911 calls with medics and an engine crew. Usually takes a few months.