WHy EMS is so brave!

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
When the NAEMT put the results of a study done it’s website I found myself bewildered. Here they list the number one reason for injury in the field (52%) was due to assault, but only 21% of EMS felt their personal safety was an issue.

This study can been seen here:
http://www.naemt.org/forTheMedia/HarrisSurvey05.htm

“Four in five EMS workers have experienced some kind of injury or medical condition as a result of their work, according to the NAEMT “Experiences with Emergency Medical Services Survey,” conducted by Harris Interactive.
A total of 1,356 NAEMT members participated in the survey, jointly commissioned by NAEMT and McNeil Consumer & Specialty Pharmaceuticals, and reported that:
• More than one in two (52%) have been assaulted by a patient;
• One in two (50%) have been exposed to an infectious disease;
• Almost one in two (47%) have sustained back injury while performing EMS duties; and
• One in five (21%) have contracted an illness from a patient.”

A friend of mine and a fellow educator, Jerry MacCauley, sent me a book called “On Combat” by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. While reading this book it became very clear. There is a chapter “On sheep, wolves and sheepdogs.” Lt. Col. Grossman talks how the average person is a sheep…..not noticing all of the day to day stuff. Then you have wolves, the criminal element and then the sheepdog……….. always protecting the sheep.

EMT’s and Medics are the same a police and fire (sheepdogs) when it comes to putting other people (sheep) first. Although this is not always the right thing to do it happens way more than we would like to acknowledge.

Cops don’t like to roll in blood. Firefighters don’t rush toward bullets and cops don’t rush into burning buildings. Each puts their own safety secondary when reality strikes. That is why the 21% of EMS feel their personal safety is an issue.

I think this is the main reason EMS doesn’t train in DT like they should. Defensive Tactics should be an integral part of ongoing EMS training. EMT’s and medics are on the same scenes as police and with 52% of EMS providers assaulted in the field……….. Safe scenes are not that safe!

Kip

sandboxmedic

Forum Crew Member
"sheepwolves/sheepdogs" correction

no disrespect, the book by Lt. Col Grossman, U.S. ARMY Ranger, is called "On Killing". and its basically a breakdown of how some people are who they are, and are able to do what they do. Whether its medics or warriors, its basically the same mindset. I have that excerpt available, but feel its too long to post here.If youd like it in its entirety, let me know.
It is by far, one of my favorite reads, and that quote is stellar,....:ph34r:

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
no disrespect, the book by Lt. Col Grossman, U.S. ARMY Ranger, is called "On Killing". and its basically a breakdown of how some people are who they are, and are able to do what they do. Whether its medics or warriors, its basically the same mindset. I have that excerpt available, but feel its too long to post here.If youd like it in its entirety, let me know.
It is by far, one of my favorite reads, and that quote is stellar,....:ph34r:

Back at you my friend. On Killing was his book on how "killing" affected soldiers and police as well. "On Combat" is his second book that deals with the psychological effects of just the combat aspects.

In "on Combat" Lt. Col Grossman specifically names medics. I found that interesting because most treat us as the red-headed stepchild.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In "on Combat" Lt. Col Grossman specifically names medics. I found that interesting because most treat us as the red-headed stepchild.

Okay, this cracked me up... a very dear friend was an army medic, recently retired... he was both red headed and a step child........ ahhhhh we find humor in such silly places.....