Why do you love your job?

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
Do share.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Outside, driving around all day, watching TV for money, using the brain I've worked to put smarts into for my entire adult life to help people with their troubles, doing physically difficult things from time to time and feeling so much the better for the task being completed.

Adz

Forum Crew Member
I get to be outside, always moving, and there aren't too many dull moments. I hate being bored, and this job pretty much guarantees minimal boredom. It makes you use your brain a lot, and I get to help my community in it's people's times of need.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Because I get to spend every shift observing and interacting with people from every end of the human spectrum; and on that rare day I can actually go home knowing that I made the difference as to whether someone lives or dies. Plus I like the chocolate milk that the ER has in their fridge...like, A LOT.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
26 years later...

I have yet to find a job that demands I use every talent I've developed and every experience I've had in my life in the service of keeping another human being alive just a bit longer.

How could it get cooler than that? Perhaps nowhere else have I been so valuable.

OP
OP
IronClaud

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
This is great insight, guys. I respect everyones reason for being in this profession. Can't beat helping people and not having to sit in a cubicle all day.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
-No cubicle.
-You never know what will happen next.
-You meet (and treat) some very interesting people.
-You see things that most people will never see.
-You learn where your limits are.
-You learn a lot, in general.
-You help people.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
Why do I love my volunteer job (Fire/EMS)?
I get to know people in my community.
The monthly training sessions satisfy my thirst for learning.
It feels good knowing that you are there to help someone in need.
It puts my adrenalin to good use.

Why do I love my paying job (LVT)?
I get to hold and pet the animals while working.
My patients reward me with purrs and 'kisses'
It feels good knowing you are helping something that can't quite communicate its symptoms to feel better.
My own pets sleep while I'm at work, so when I get home, they're just waking up and ready to play.

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Was looking for something in the medical field. Don't want to be a Nurse, too poor to be a Doc. Also, pretty much what everyone else has said. I'm outside, I stay busy. And mostly, for me at least, I love helping people. Medical or not, I just like being able to help.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I have yet to find a job that demands I use every talent I've developed and every experience I've had in my life in the service of keeping another human being alive just a bit longer.

How could it get cooler than that? Perhaps nowhere else have I been so valuable.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I like the fact were needed. I like that we can make a difference everyday we go to work. I love that I'm helping people.

Oh & getting to sleep & watch movies at work isn't too bad either

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure how much I love it yet but one of the main reasons was getting out of the cube farm.

I do like to be challenged so I need to work past being just an EMT-B. I enjoy helping folks but the lack of a challenge thus far keeps me from loving the job. I think the biggest challenge I might face is finding the nearest ER if and when it does get ugly.

Even though dispatch tells me where to go and when I still like the freedom of being out on the road.

clibb

Forum Captain
I love my co-workers and the patients! We work well together with the ED staff and hang out with them on a regular basis!

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Reasons why Ambulance > Hospital

My partner is freaking awesome
No supervisor breathing down my neck about everything
Open roads and being in the outdoors
Im the primary care provider till its someone elses problem

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Because it is in my rear view mirror.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Most has already been said about always something new, most of the day outside etc etc.

My favorite part isnt the rare occasion we save someone, but the almost constant occasion where we can make a difference by just listening or comforting a patient.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
I've been spit on, crapped upon, put down, yelled at, cursed at, called out of bed at oh-dark-thirty, both paid (military) and volunteer served......but it all comes down to the few times I've been thanked. It makes up for all the "not so good times". :cool:

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
The Money!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I got lost in my little fantasy world again. My co-workers, were just one big family. What other job do you get paid to sleep, eat, watch tv/movies, and tell the cops what to do. lol

ADD: being able to interact with people, hanging out with the ER Staff late at night, when everyone is bored out of their minds, helping perfect strangers. Plus i get to cut cars apart, and put out fires.

One big thing, I have never had two days be the same!!!!!!!! every single day i go into work its something new and different

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
-I'm constantly being challenged to think on my toes and improvise.
-I never know what to expect.
-There is no cap on my education. I can constantly find something new to learn.
-My coworkers are a lot of fun.
-Every once in a while someone thanks me and that's very fulfilling.