Why did you become an EMT?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The topic title says it all. Why did you choose to become an EMT?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Well, if you don't mind I'll change the question for me.

Why did you become a Medical First Responder?

I became a MFR because work required it. And I have to say the bug bit hard while I was getting the training.

All security personnel at the Toyota Motor Manufacturing plant in Princeton, Indiana are required to go through MFR class. Those who make the Emergency Response Team also go through FF I & II class. I left the department just before I was to go through the class.

I was sorry to find out that there are no manufacturing plants like Toyota here in Florida. The only thing that comes close are places like Disney or other major theme park or resort.

I think I'm going to leave the private world and go public, going through EMT school this fall then look for employment.

Chimp

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jun 27 2004, 11:16 PM
Well, if you don't mind I'll change the question for me.

Why did you become a Medical First Responder?

Actually, I believe that a MFR is considered an EMT at the national level.

The designations are:

EMT-FR
EMT-B
EMT-I/85
EMT-I/99
EMT-P

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
So does that means I can wear "I'm an EMT" t-shirt? :blink:

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I actually don't know why I came into this profession. I remember being at our highschool career counsellor and I guess I just thought it would be a cool job. After I took my first CPR and First Aid course I started volunteering with St. Johns Ambulance at hockey games and stuff and that sparked my curiosity. I always verbalized that I wanted to be a veternarian. I was looking thru some pictures my mom had taken of me and alot of them were of me playing dress up in nurses clothes and working on my dolls with my moms play kindergarten medicals toys. I always was the one who used to bring in sick animals into our house and nurse them back to health. These outside kitties had eye infections one winter and I used eye drops and ointment on them till they got better and I always used to help my dad with calfing and feeding the sick ones. I guess I choose not to go into vet med mostly because I can't handle animals dying but I :D humans. Am I sick for that?!?! I am just gonna stick to being the cat lady . Good enough! :p

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
Well... After a very unsuccessful 2 year run in college, I was looking for a change. I had been majoring in music education of all things, and my plan was to take a semester or two off and figure out what I really wanted to do.

About a month after class had ended I heard that one of the local community colleges was offering the EMT-B class. I thought it sounded like something I'd be interested in, so I took out a loan and registered for the class.

As it turns out, I loved it. Now I plan to make EMS my career. Who knew!

sunshine1026

Forum Crew Member
I think that I have wanted to be an EMT since I was about 5 years old...I just took the (very) long way around to get here! Started out majoring in music, then switched to nursing, but decided that wasn't for me either, and ended up in accounting. I wasn't really happy with it, though, and started volunteering with the Red Cross, then with the fire department.

I love the challenge of EMS, and the fact that even though some calls are similar, every one has somethng different about it, and I never get bored. I enjoy the interaction with the patients (most of the time!) and the fact that I am able to help people when they need it most. Also, I just can't resist lights and sirens! ;)

spunkygizmo

Forum Probie
I became an EMT because I have been around EMS since I was little. My Mom is an ER nurse so it kinda is hereditary, I guess,lol. I've always been fascinated by it, and it's just something I really like to do. I really like helping people and I like the fact that no matter how many similar calls you have, no two are exactly the same.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
My accident investigation professor in college told us one day that as safety professionals, we'd often be one of the first on-scene at an industrial accident, and that we had the duty (his word) to have some sort of medical training. He said at least first aid/CPR, but recommended EMT. I thought that made a lot of sense and looked into it several times over the next couple years, but never made time for it until after I got that Medical Emergency Response Team project at the newspaper. Went through FR training then, and did the EMT about a year later.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I never really wanted to be an EMT when I joined the fire department. I just wanted to put the wet stuff on the red stuff. About six months after I joined, I realized that EMS was 75% of our calls. I decided to try the EMT class, and was hooked. 6 months after I completed my EMT-B, I took my EMT-I class.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I don't know why (more like I can't really remember) - but I love it!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
For my community... In a rural area, cut off from supply and emergency teams in storms and winter, someone should have a skills to help the ill and injured... I'm always ready with my Wilderness EMS Pack!

I know I live in a wilderness community, and that it is a great necessity for those of us who are spread out across the area to have medical skills. Weather on a fire department or not, I would have became an emt. I started as early as possible, at 10 with ARC Standard First Aid; 12 ARC Advanced First Aid & CPR for the professional rescuer; 13 Wilderness-First Aid. At 14 I took a course taught by a combat medic on advanced measures in first aid and survival; and Wilderness SAR. Then Basic EMT at 16. I'd like to get certified in Wilderness-EMT, and Wilderness SAR & Survival someday, as well as, high angle rescue.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
I was in Boy Scouts from ages 11-18. During that time, I learned Basic First Aid, and fell in love with it. I even became our "first aid instructor" and tought all the guys the stuff they needed to get the merit badge.

After High school, I didnt know what I wanted to be. I had concidered a career in Nursing, among a million other things. When I decided to start taking some college classes, I needed to pick a major. So, the first thing that came into my mind was law enforcement. I have allways had a desire to work in the public sector/civil service. After a while of taking Pre Law enforcement, and basic undergrad stuff, I quit. School and I dont get along. When I stopped going, I had a 1.8GPA. :blink:

A while ago, I had the urge to get back into school. I knew that I wasnt cut out for police work, and while flipping through the college cataloge, I saw the EMT-B course. There was my answer. I dont know why I never thought of it before, EMS....That would be great. So I signed up with out a second thought. While in the class, I excelled. Perhaps it was my prior first aid/cpr knowledge, but I seemed to breeze through the class. I finished first in my class (of only 18), and I had a great time doing it. I knew after that first week of EMT class, that I had found my calling. This is what God put me here to do.

Now, that I am an EMT (with out a job), I am looking towards the next step. I know Paramedic is in my future. I am trying to heed the advice from so many, and work as a Basic for a while before getting my Paramedic. One thing that I have noticed is, while I have allways loved medicine, I NEVER wanted anything to do with the Fire Service. Around here 99% of all 911 EMS is ran through the FD, and nearly all of the Paramedics are FireFighters. This kind of bummed me out for a while, untill I started talking to people in the field, and hanging around boards like this one, and really started getting into this. Now, I am chomping at the bit to get my FF1. I am considering taking it on my own, rather then waiting to get hired by a FD.

So, that is way more then you wanted to know about me. Sorry its so long, I guess this is one of those things I am passionate about.

Thanks for asking, and reading,

Russ
EMT-B