Who Be Newbie? I Be Newbie!

Call911

Forum Probie
GREETINGS!
(Don't worry, this is not a draft notice! (Anyone remember those?!)

I am a one time Basic EMT, who is not licensed any more because of a wrecked shoulder. I just cannot carry those larger-than-life patients any more. I can't even carry the small one either! It bites, let me tell ya! :(
But, I wanted to remain in EMS, so I became a certified Emergency Medical Dispatcher. I figured that if I couldn't do it myself anyome, I could at least tell medics where to go. :D
Problem is, here in Oklahoma, no one seems to use certified EMD's! Too much experience to be hired into the dispatch center. Over-qualified is what they tell me, can you believe it?

So, I'm looking, and am willing to relocate if anyone will hire me. There sure as heck isn't very much here! Not to mention being the lowest paid medics in the entire country!
$6.00 for a basic, and $8-9.00 for a paramedic. I really, really hate it here!

My wife is a CCEMT-P, and she found this site today. I went ahead on joined, and she is going to tomorrow.
It's a 2-fer Special!
Anyhoo, I hope that ex-EMT dispatchers are welcome here, too.

EMS=No guts, no glory, no money.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Welcome aboard from Southern California. Glad you (and your wife) found us.

I think most of the dispatch centers around here use EMDs. I know ours, the Verdugo Fire Communications Center does. Not aware of any openings at the moment, but if I hear anything, I'll let you know.

Again, welcome.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Welcome to the group.

I know there are a few of us ex-dispatchers (and at least one current one) floating around here somewhere. I actually missed the EMD class because I had to cover the dispatch center while everyone else attended the class.

I didn't mind, because as soon as they were done with the class, I was hired as a jailer for more money.

I'll keep my ears open for any EMD jobs in Washington state, that is, if you don't mind the commute. :D

OP
OP
C

Call911

Forum Probie
Originally posted by ffemt8978@Jul 28 2004, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the group.

I know there are a few of us ex-dispatchers (and at least one current one) floating around here somewhere. I actually missed the EMD class because I had to cover the dispatch center while everyone else attended the class.

I didn't mind, because as soon as they were done with the class, I was hired as a jailer for more money.

I'll keep my ears open for any EMD jobs in Washington state, that is, if you don't mind the commute. :D
Thanks, guys!
I'm willing to reloacte almost anywhere. I am sick to death of Oklahoma. My wife is a CCEMT-P, so her finding a job almost anywhere should not be too difficult. My problem my age, (50), and the fact that I was disabled on the job.
No one wants to hire someone with a Worker's comp claim on their record. But, if I can get a job in Washington, that would be great! Just as long as it's not in California. (No offense to anyone from California. It's your tax structure I don't want to deal with.)

I've been thinking about Las Vegas, and Reno. Anyone know about them?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You should check out AMR's site. The last I heard, they were looking for paramedics and dispachters in about 3-4 different locations in the state.

As far as tax structure goes, WA has no income tax but does have a hefty sales and property tax system.