Where to start.

carltonblues

Forum Ride Along
Hello, this is my first time posting so if I do anything wrong or post in wrong board i apologize.

My situation is like this, My brother was a heavy drug abuser which made my parents,in there words, "tired and cannot deal with trying on me". So they kicked me out of their house when i was 17.I managed to live on by doing small jobs as waiter in retirement home and retail and sort of living between multiple friends homes but I have always felt like a burden to them. I managed to finish HS, and start on my path in college in hopes to become a PA.I just passed my EMT-B course in Ventura county California just a little north of LA county.

now here is my question. I have only had my drivers licence for around 2 months because getting a car on my own was incredibly difficult while paying rent when I only had part time jobs. So i want to know where should I look to find jobs should i try to apply to 911 provider despite my minimal driving record , or at a hospital despite my lack of volunteer/working experience, or is the army/any kind of armed services a viable options. I'm tired of feeling like a leech please any kind of direction would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Go with a smaller ambulance company doing ift's and then jump on board with a larger 911 after youve got some experience on your resume

Chan

Forum Crew Member
If you're under 21 it makes it even more difficult to find employment. People 21 + are cheaper to insure, thus they're more inclined to hire someone 21+.

Do a quick business search. Apply EVERYWHERE within your willingness to travel and hope for the best.

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
I would strongly advise to enlist in the military. If the field of EMS is where you want to go after the military, then go in to be a medic. However, when you get back into the civilian world military medic will not be recognized as a medic. Albeit, you will have the experience and the opportunity to go to college on the government’s tab to earn a Paramedic Science degree after you get out.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Keep your day job(s) and keep looking. Military is one way, but you take your chances. Think about moving to where it is cheaper to live, if possible, if there are jobs there.
The longer you are without a car the more money you save, but you need public transport available. (Been there did that, living 12 miles out of town). Once you can afford car expenses, including adequate insurance, that will potentially expand your job prospects.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
First off I wish you the best of luck.I would try smaller ambulance companies. If that doesn't work speak with a army recriture.
-sent on my BlackBerry

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
Lifeline is in Ventura County (based out of Ventura - the city). They run first-in 911 in Ojai, and IFTs throughout the County. You'd start on IFT but would have the opportunity to move into 911 eventually. I believe AMR just hired, and it is very rare that they hire EMTs in VC, so I'd say apply if you want since they're always accepting apps, but it's a long shot. Other than that... IFT companies throughout LA County. There are several (hundred).. apply everywhere. Get in somewhere, get some time doing IFTs and then apply to 911 companies. The initial experience under your belt will go a long way, even if it is IFT.

As far as money is concerned.. EMT salary will be pretty similar whether you are 911 or IFT. IFT may pay a tad bit more... but that's the trade-off for not getting to use the pretty lights on top of the rig I suppose.

Good luck in your ventures. This board is a wealth of knowledge, use it.