where to start in florida

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
I am currently looking for a good EMT program to start in the upcoming months. if anyone has any suggestions, in the miami/broward/palm beach area i would really appreciate it. But besides that, my end goal is fire. what else can i be doing in the mean time to get ahead and get ready? fitness wise? studying wise? anything really?

please and thanks! :unsure:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Choose any of the community colleges and you will be fine.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
I am currently looking for a good EMT program to start in the upcoming months. if anyone has any suggestions, in the miami/broward/palm beach area i would really appreciate it. But besides that, my end goal is fire. what else can i be doing in the mean time to get ahead and get ready? fitness wise? studying wise? anything really?

please and thanks! :unsure:

Miami dade college/ broward college/palm beach college

FMTI has EMS also

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I intentionally left off FMTI. :)

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
really the community colleges are the way to go? that's definitely taken me by surprise. I keep hearing about broward fire academy as well? any feedback there?
also don't the colleges make you submit transcripts and the whole nine yards and take pre-reqs? or it's basically sign up and start?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
...But besides that, my end goal is fire. what else can i be doing in the mean time to get ahead and get ready? fitness wise? studying wise? anything really?

First, get the terminology right. It is now EMS-based Fire Suppression. :p
In seriousness, get used to EMS. That will be a huge part of your job (80% or more). If you hate it, you should find a different job. Not accusing, just saying.

Physical Fitness will always serve you well. You don't need to even do that much... work on basics, like jogging/running, basic strength exercises, etc.

OP
OP
A

amg1322

Forum Crew Member
:p thanks for the correction. like I said im very new to the entire scene so I'm reaching out to all of my resources to make sure I do everything necessary to be heading in the right direction. any other recommendations? any particular work outs to focus on? I want to make sure I start training now from the beginning so the intensity isn't a total shock.