Where do you sit?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This has come up in several threads I've seen. And usually brings about some good discussion, so I figured I'd give it a thread to itself.

When you're in the back of the ambulance where do you sit? Are you strapped in? Why or why not?

As for me, I hate working in boxes. For one reason in general. I can't be strapped in while working on the patient if I need to grab things.
USually I'd rather get things done before we start moving and then strap into the airway chair for the ride in. The patient is safe on the cot with 3 straps + shoulders, so why shouldn't I be riding in the safest spot in the ambulance for an attendant.
I'd love to get some of the new Careflite Sprinters that they were showing off at Expo this year, just for the added safety features.

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
IFT: take vitals, then strap in for the ride, unbuckling as necessary for vitals, suctioning, O2 adjustments, etc.

911: On more serious calls, unfortunately staying seated and buckled in isn't an option. Thats where trust in your partner's defensive driving skills are key.

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
It really depends on the call. i prefer bench strapped in or not, that way i can still get in the cabinets if i need to. as stated by others, being buckled kinda depends on the situation.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
We have forward facing seats next to the pt. So you're positioned at around the pt's waist looking forward at the monitor and utility table, turning slightly to the right to work on them.

I don't think we're actually allowed to be in motion without being belted in.

Not that anyone takes notice :rolleyes:

We also have an attachment to secure the ePCR computer to your lap so it doesn't become a missile in a crash. Again nobody uses them.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
On my rear end......:p

No seriously, I try to always sit in the airway seat, buckled in when possible.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I'd love to get some of the new Careflite Sprinters that they were showing off at Expo this year, just for the added safety features.

I was just assigned to a sprinter for CF, and they are AWEEESOMMMEEEE.
At first, I was thinking they were ridiculously ugly, and hated the fact that I would be working in one. Now that I've had the opportunity to be in one, I love it. They are more stable and less rocking and swaying like in the 'boxes' Everything is easier to find and I like the layout. :)

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Bench seat, belted. Our computer is docked to the left of the bench and the monitor when on it's pole can be reached from here. We also very rarely return L&S and I do as much as possible before moving.

We should be losing the bench seat on our Type 3's in the next few years. The main manufacturer we use has really been pushing rotating captain's chairs and with all the exterior compartments they have we should be able to lose the under bench storage.

reaper

Working Bum
What ever seat I need to be in. Very rarely wear seat belt.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If something needs to be done, I'm standing or sitting next to the patient.

If nothing needs to be done, I'm sitting in the air chair belted in.

With my job, it's usually the latter. Even on ALS calls I can put the EKG on the back of the stretcher and watch it from a safe spot.

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
If something needs to be done, I'm standing or sitting next to the patient.

If nothing needs to be done, I'm sitting in the air chair belted in.

With my job, it's usually the latter. Even on ALS calls I can put the EKG on the back of the stretcher and watch it from a safe spot.

I like seeing my patients and talking to them, I know its not safe on the bench seat but that is where I am at always. Maybe that will change down the road. I just like talking to them and observing, a good ekg doesn't mean a good LOC. I know there are easy runs but im just saying.

LonghornMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I like seeing my patients and talking to them, I know its not safe on the bench seat but that is where I am at always. Maybe that will change down the road. I just like talking to them and observing, a good ekg doesn't mean a good LOC. I know there are easy runs but im just saying.

You can't determine LOC sitting in the airway chair? I guess I must be doing something wrong.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
On 911 I sit in the CPR seat since it puts me right next to the patient and give access to the radios for Hospital notification.

On IFT I usually sit on the bench seat.

I usually am not strapped in (bad, i know), but on our newer trucks we have safety harnesses on the bench seats and ill slip my arms into those

292adam

Forum Probie
Bench Seat. I can monitor the pt. and I have easy access to all the equipment and in case something goes down I can spring into action. I never buckle in. Bad bad haha. On a side note we had an ambulance crash where the RN was sitting the jump seat, CCT crew, and the rig was t-boned by a car (car ran a red light.) Anyways the RN wasn't buckled in and she flew towards the cot and broke her ribs on the metal tubing of the cot, it was set to semi fowlers.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Honestly Depends on the patient. Usually CPR seat. I can reach everything from there.

Thinking back, I do not think i have ever worn a seat belt while in the box. (Except if I am working as a FTO/3rd going to the scene)

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Completely depends on the severity of my patient and what all I have to be doing while we are enroute to the hospital.

Generally, I am in the airway seat or bench seat, and honestly I can't ever remember wearing a seatbelt while I am in the back of an ambulance.

If I have a very serious patient, sometimes I don't sit down at all...I hold on to the CPR rail in the top of the ambulance and move around freely doing whatever I need to do to take care of my patient.