When You Became An EMT, Did You Volunteer Before Working?

EMTkels

Forum Probie
Hey all!

I'm new to the site, but already love everyone's support, and funny upbeat attitudes towards one another! :) My name is Kelly and I'm in the EMT training program. I can't even BEGIN to tell you all how excited I am just by reading books, talking to people that work in the field...I can't wait til I can get out there and make a difference!

My question to y'all:

After you passed your EMT class and the exam, did you have to volunteer for a certain amount of time before signing on at a company as a paid employee? Is it easy for new EMT's to find work, or do most places prefer some sort of volunteer experience first?

I appreciate your responses! Thanks and have a swell night! :D

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
I don't know, I'll let you know when I find a paid job. ;)

Actually, I'm kidding. Finding a paid job in EMS really depends on where in the country you live. I've run in two states, MD and OH. The department I used to run with back in MD (Laurel Rescue Squad, Company 49 [ http://laurelrescue.org ] was mostly volunteers. We had a couple of full timers but they were almost all Paramedics that (technically) worked for the county. The EMS squad I run with now, Union Township Life Squad, is mostly full timers and the shifts get 'filled up' with volunteers. I have been a volunteer my entire EMS career and honestly, I'll probably never go full time paid. I make way too much in my day job to quit and do EMS full time.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Fresh out of EMT School, you can usually get hired on working Transports... the Taxi of the Medical industry. Good experience, but very repetitive.

Volunteering is a good idea, it looks good on your resume and is good experience.

Epi-do

I see dead people
When I went to EMT class, it was paid for by the fire dept in exchange for agreeing to volunteer for 2 years. Immediately out of class, I also got a paid job as the health supervisor at a summer camp. (I did that for two summers.) Once summer camp was over, I worked for Rural/Metro doing transports for 3-4 months before getting a job with the local hospital-based 911 service for Indianapolis. Over the last few years, I have also worked for a physician, did transport stuff part-time for a while, and am currently working as a civilian for the fire department.

There are countless opportunities out there for you, you just have to put the time into finding them. The more experience you gain, and the more education you get, the more opportunities you will have. I enjoyed the time I spent as a vollie and was fortunate enough to work in a busy system at the time. I was able to see, do, and learn alot. Since then, I have completed a college degree and am wanting to go to medic school. (Unfortunately, that is going to have to wait for a while because my husband is going back to school this coming fall.)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Most of the EMT's and Intermediates in my area are volunteer on the squads. We no longer accept applications less than Paramedic level except for the wheel chair van.

Good luck on your career,
R/r 911

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for the county. Straight out of EMT school, ink still wet on my license, and I was on an ALS truck.

Don't get my wrong, I did some time on our BLS truck too....but in our area you can get straight on an ALS truck right out of school.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I volunteered while I went to EMT school, once I got my card I got a full time job with a rescue squad here. In 3 months I went from being on the transpo truck to being on the rescue truck ( of course I took alot of classes during that time too). Within a year of that I was an EMT-I and was made a supervisor and the rescue truck became my home until I moved out of state. When I came back to SC I went to work for the county I live in and have been there since. I also am a VFF so I guess I havent quit volunteering yet!

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yup!

I volunteered at the FR level before I passed the National Registry and I still volunteer. I think the experience is great. Also, around here it can be quite a while before you even get an interview. Lots of applicants for few jobs. Folks have reported that AMR can take up to 18 months to get back to you after you apply.

OP
OP
E

EMTkels

Forum Probie
Hot Dang!

Thanks for the info, people!

FFEMT- How did you get to volunteer while still in EMT training? It's possible to do so without actually being registered yet?

I'm definitely going to put some time into finding out my options 'round here.

Thanks guys! :)

trauma1534

Forum Captain
I was a volunteer for several years prior to becoming a career provider. I volunteered at a local small Rescue Squad while I was in class. That helped alot. It got me around other providers and it helped running into things that I was working on in class. I continued as a volunteer for a good 8 years before going paid. Things have changed alot since then, though. There was not such a big market for jobs out there as it is today. I would sugest that if you want to start out as paid, find a transport agancy. One that does mostly non-emergency transports... from nursing home to doctor, nursing home to x-ray, dialysis patients, residence to doctor, innerfacility transports, etc. It will help you as far as getting into the professionalism of the job. Volunteer at a local Rescue Squad or Fire Department where you can use your skills. In other words, ease into it. A full 911 paid service can be overwhelming to a new provider. Get your feet wet. Learn your **** before you go into it with both feet in. Get your experience riding with other seasoned providers. Remember one thing... just because you pass your state boards, does not mean that you are ready to go out and save the world. You must get your feet wet before you can find your skills second nature to you. The real life is much different than the scenario's of class, and cpr on dummies, etc. Take your time. Get good! That is my advice to anyone fresh out of class.

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
My educaton was paid for by a Volunteer agency so I still volunteer. I have been a volly for 21 years and will untill I can no longer do it. I have a great time with the teenagers and new folks in the agency. I still Love the volly side of it, and I owe everything I have and everything I am to my starting out as a volunteer.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Thanks for the info, people!

FFEMT- How did you get to volunteer while still in EMT training? It's possible to do so without actually being registered yet?

You mean ME, not that OTHER GUY.. right? :)

And it was easy because I just worked at the First Responder level. The Red Cross first aid stations are just First Responder stuff anyway.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Yep.......... I did the freebie thing for Polk County EMS before I got a paying gig.
It was actually pretty cool. We did a lot of the stock car race standby's etc.
I learned a lot from the folks there.

Para-Devil

Forum Probie
Hello!

Hello kelly and welcome! As a new basic i got hired on to private companies that do transports really easily. its a good way to start but i also tried to find a private company that did 911 in another county. See the company i work for does the renal runs in one city but its main station is located 2 hours away in another county where they are contracted EMS for the county, its hard to find but u can do it and its great expierence! The drive is kinda far, but like i said its good expierence and the paramedics there are always willing to teach me! well,:p good luck!

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
i was a volunteer even before my EMT. you can ride the rig with a CPR card and assist.

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
I'm a proud member of an all-volunteer service! I love it, but if I ever live elsewhere I might look into a paid job or a private transport service.

i was a volunteer even before my EMT. you can ride the rig with a CPR card and assist.

Same here. It was a TON of great experience. I headed into EMT class with more practice than most of my classmates combined.

Last edited by a moderator:

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
Yep.......... I did the freebie thing for Polk County EMS before I got a paying gig.
It was actually pretty cool. We did a lot of the stock car race standby's etc.
I learned a lot from the folks there.

Polk County Missouri?

I also volunteered first. In fact I still do. I have actually NEVER turned a wheel on a Paid Service, rather I worked as and EMS Educator, working closely with the crews... then moved on to Emergency Management Coordinator.... now I am going back to school (for a totally unrelated career), and still volunteer in my County (Polk County) as a Medical Responder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There are very few Vollie EMS services in my state. There are however quite a few vollie F.D.'s I was a Asst' Chief for years at a vollie. There are still many F.D.'s here that do not want to participate in EMS as well.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
We have a 52 square mile district with just over 1,000 residents. It's unincorporated county, so no infrastructure to pay for a civic department and not enough calls to make it worth the attention of a private company. I started as a volunteer, worked in private long enough to cement my skills, and now teach, and volunteer with VFD/EMS and county SAR. Oh yeah, and I have a day job that pays more than EMS around here ever did.