When to end CPR?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
so many doctors, with all their education, and all the nurses, with their education, and all the paramedics, with all their education, are all wrong? and they keep performing these worthless workups, costing healthare how much money, knowing they have no impact on survivability?

Yes. It is one of the major failings of the American health care system.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
so many doctors, with all their education, and all the nurses, with their education, and all the paramedics, with all their education, are all wrong? and they keep performing these worthless workups, costing healthare how much money, knowing they have no impact on survivability?

Yes. Because people, the president of the country included, feel it is owed to them that even if something is entirely impractical we should do it.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain

Yes. Because many providers are unwilling or unable to acknowledge futility and convey that to the family.

I really wish we had ECMO for those calls.

Are you joking?

Of the 6 hospitals in my system, only one is capable of sustaining it as a treatment. There's one that will implement it, but they always transfer them to the University Medical Center across town. And they're a nearly 600 bed, tertiary care center, level II trauma center, with the busiest cath lab/CABG program in Upstate NY!

I seriously don't think it's even reasonable to think about field ECMO.