when to call for a rescue

firelieut4013

Forum Ride Along
when should you call for a rescue/engine

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Can you clarify what you're asking? Are you asking when you should call for additional units to assist?

Also, keep in mind that different agencies use different terminologies, and rescue seems to be one of those. Out here, we don't really use the term rescue by itself, but our FD-run ambulances are all refered to as rescue ambulances (RAs), so if someone says rescue, that's what they mean. What would be called a rescue or heavy rescue on, say, the East Coast, is called a USAR here, and our truck companies handle most of the extrication/light rescue duties.

Out here, the standard response to an EMS call is going to be an engine company and either an RA or a Squad (a non-transport ALS unit...usually a pick-up with a contractor-type body). Freeway TCs usually get two engine companies and an RA/Squad, and if extrication is involved, a truck company will also be dispatched.

OP
OP
F

firelieut4013

Forum Ride Along
yes,, if u need help and the 2 emts cant handle .. some people use rescue asst ,engine asst , some people have an engine dispatched with the bus . some have a qrs .. the questing i was askin when would u call for more help .. just a tread starter

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
We're spoiled out here...you're never gonna end up on an EMS call with less than 5 or 6 people (2 person ALS unit plus an 3 or 4 person engine). On our department (volunteer), we're guaranteed 4 on an EMS call (ambulance EMT, utility FF, duty engineer and duty EMT) but frequently get more like 10.

If it was just two, I'd definitely call for help on anything that looked like it could turn into a full-arrest, or anything with a large PT. Around here, its not uncommon for a truck to be dispatched for "bariatric" patients (400+ pounds), and there's a special ambulance run by one department equipped to deal with such PTs that can be "special called" by any department in our dispatch system.

Also, any call involving a forcible entry situation would be a good one to call on. We can usually force entry with the utility on-scene, but sometimes an engine is needed.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I work for a private service that provides ALS services to a large suburban area with no EMS and a volunteer FD.

Each calls gets three paramedics. Two stock the ambulance, and another one in a Tahoe.

Fire has someone monitor PD and our frequencies 24/7 and will dispatch if they see fit. I've seen instances where fire is dispatched to a small non-injury MVC, and other times when they're needed no one is dispatched.

Working for a private service with no FD or EMS on scene, where three people can work a full arrest or major trauma isn't easy. It isn't about not having the units, in fact they'll usually call for another unit which is just minutes away, but sometimes there is a need for a rapid extrication.

I see some people complain about too many EMTs on scene, but that's never a problem around here :unsure:

SmokinGun911

Forum Probie
MMiz said:
I see some people complain about too many EMTs on scene, but that's never a problem around here

I would love to have that problem. As the chief of a rural fire department, we are first due on all MVCs. Occasionally, we have to wait on an EMS crew from the other end of the county. In good weather that can take 45 min to an hour. If it's butt ugly - as it has been the past two days - it can take much longer. We have many EMTs and a few medics in our FD and most of the time can muster an EMS crew to support the ambulance on our own. However, if we have multiple pts, that wait can be a mighty long one. Even without a transport unit, having an excess of EMTs is a God-send.

Three people on a full arrest is, well, God bless you for your efforts, not enough hands. We are paged on all full arrests in our first due and it is still seems hard to manage. (In this case I might have too many well intended but not-very-useful FF's on hand. Still not too bad a problem.)

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I am on my services response plan committee...my opinion-send everyone and once someone gets on scene you can always cancel whoever isnt needed...here for arrest's we get a transport unit, a qrv, the ems supervisor, and the local VFD....I love it when there are eager FF wanting to do cpr...that way us ems people can focus on things like airways, iv's, defib, and of course us medics love to give drugs :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The "how many people to work a code" debate is one we always have at the squad. In our county, many departments have an Engine or Squad (Utility vehicle for manpower transport) due for the assist for an arrest. In our first-due fire local... the ambulance dosen't have FD response on codes... we have 1 BLS rig, 1-2 ALS providers, and usually either the Supervisor or 2nd BLS rig to support. We try to not commit the 2nd BLS rig, and leave it availible for other calls.

In some of our territory, we cover 2 other FD's that don't have ambulance service... both FD's are due on Codes, and also will occasionally "stop by" and help with other calls. I NEVER have a problem with a FD engine, squad, or chief "showing up" to help... I also don't mind my supervisor "dropping by" or QRS'ing because he was close... extra hands are always nice.

Jon

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Yep that should be the consensus too, the more hands, the better off you are, and like I said before, if you don't need them you can cancel them :)